1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Outboy, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have just come out to my friends on Facebook.
    Over the past few weeks, I have been posting random comments and subtle hints about the future regarding work and relationships in the hope that at least one friend would guess I'm gay.
    I was not planning on coming out it just sort of happened today as I was chatting more and more. The problem I have always had is the fear of rejection should I reveal who I am. It turns out I need not have worried as my friends have all been very accepting and saying nothing has changed, which is all positive for me.
    I didn't actually say that I was gay. I had to let my friends guess before I could admit it.
    The problem now is telling the rest of my family as only my brother knows.
    The worst thing for me is telling my family as I am not sure they will react the same way that my friends have.

2. takeanotherstep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's great that your friends are accepting of you! This is a great start towards increasing acceptance of yourself and, hopefully, more of the people you're close to.

From what I can tell, your parents aren't on Facebook so they don't know. However, is any other member of your extended family on there? They could have gotten wind of it and may begin speculating to closer members of your family. I really don't know.

How do you think your family will take the news? Have they said anything against LGBT people recently?

3. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! That is a huge step. I'm happy for you(!)

4. guitar

Congratulations!!! :grin:

5. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I'm now happy that people know, by embracing my new found confidence I thought my friends would be chatting more and more. However it seems that I am talking about a load of things now, something I never used to do, but feel like I am getting nothing back from them in return.
    I realise they are busy with their own lives, I just wish they would share their news with me as I feel we can now be more open with each other.
    I am thinking of asking them why they are not responding to comments I am making. Surely they don't actually have a problem with me after the initial euphoria of me coming out has died down?