1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumbest problem ever

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 1ring, Jan 18, 2016.

1. 1ring

I realized that I'm probably not straight last spring and lately I've become more and more comfortable with the thought of me being bisexual, so in a way to kind of hint to my friends and see how they feel I've been making a lot of gay jokes and comments about myself to them. They're all totally okay with lgbt stuff and people so they've kind of started going along with it and they all joke about everyone, especially me, being lgbt.

Now if I were ready, I'm not, I would be okay coming out to them as bisexual but my parents are a totally different case; they don't think bi people actually exist. All of my friends know this and one of my friend's mom believes the same as my parents.

My problem however is that my friends have become so okay with joking that I'm gay that they were thinking about having a fake coming out for me to my parents as bisexual, just to freak my parents out. I know they were all joking and there is basically no chance they would actually do it but it just makes me concerned that in the future if I did come out to them they would think it's just a joke.

I know it's basically all my fault and a pathetic problem to have.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not dumb. And while it sucks to have people around you who don't acknowledge bisexuality, the reality is that nobody credible argues that bisexuality isn't real... so the viewpoint it doesn't is simply ignorance.

So I think in your case the solution is to make peace with yourself. Be certain of where you are on the spectrum, and when you are certain and comfortable with yourself... come out, and as part of that, make it clear that you need people to respect you for who you are.

I think your parents will eventually come around, it may be just an education process.