1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out a a religious school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jay Dinosaur, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jay Dinosaur

Out Status:
    Some people
    (Sorry this is my first thread so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right?)
    Ok so I go to a Religious high school and I'm a senior there, and I'm out to most of the younger years as trans, but not like fully out.

I avoided being fully out at school as I'm not out to my parents yet, but I'm coming out very soon. The staff are also really religious and I know of one teacher that is aware of the queer community at my school and accepts us.

I've run into trouble with students' parents and staff just assuming that I'm a lesbian cis girl, that has gotten me into trouble and it makes me uncomfortable to be seen as something I'm not.

Does anyone else have advice about religious schools and coming out?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Perhaps you could ask if your school could hold a lesson/assembly on diversity and if they bring up LGBT then there's a good chance the school (can't speak for individuals though) accepts it. If at any point you have a topic of your choice to deliver to the class, you could do it about LGBT and religion - and point out the parts of your religious text that are for and against LGBT, making a fully formed debate, ending with pro-LGBT statement that they'll remember.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016