1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to parents. Help??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Methrandir, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, the other day I came out as gay to my parents. They were ok with it but they said I'm too young to know and not to tell anyone until I'm in college. I am definately sure I'm gay and I have already told a few friends and I want to tell more and be myself.:bang:

2. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents are really silly sometimes. I should know, because I'm one of them. If you "came out" as straight, would they think you're not old enough to know that? Would they ask you to wait until you're in college to discuss it further? Since they're ok with it, continue to have conversations about your life with them. It's also possible they still see homophobia around them and are concerned about your safety or any number of other things that are common surrounding the LGBT community.

Keep an open mind with them, ask them to keep an open mind with you, and just talk. Like I said, parents can be silly. Best wishes.

3. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Methrandir
    Well done on knowing who you are and comgratulations on telling your parents. You have done your bit. You know who you are. I knew at 12 years old but didn't come out to my parents until I was 20. But that was in 1985 (the dark ages!).
    As driedroses says, if you'd come out as straight would they have had the same reaction? :bang:

4. Gay1234

My parents did the exact same thing. They said to my brother "let's try to postpone him from coming out to the class as long as possible" I knew the class for three years and all that time I knew I was gay. Well I told my class and I am delighted they know as I am not presumed straight anymore and all of them were supportive. They even nearly forced me to go to a counsellor. I finally told them that I told them and they were ok with it, I guess they had to be because what would they have done. It is our own choice to do it if we want to. There is no such thing as a gay phase so if your gay your gay so you are most likely gay. Well you can do it if you want in my opinion.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

5. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Methrandir – The specific age when someone decides they’re gay has a wide range. Some people know exactly who they are in their early teens. For others (myself included) it can take years of confusion and denial before they accept their nature.

It sounds like you’re certain, which is awesome.

If you know who you are, I see nothing wrong with telling others. Believe me – life will be much better when you’re able to be you instead of pretending to be something else to please others.

Best of luck.

6. lovetoomuch

Hey, I can relate. I came out to my parents 9 days ago and they told me they don't want me telling other people yet, which was disappointing to hear. They were supportive like your parents, but since I haven't been in a relationship, they said I cannot be sure.

Like driedroses said, if you were straight, they wouldn't tell you to hide that. I love my parents very much, but I am ignoring them on this and going to continue telling close friends. I'm not going to hide my sexuality anymore as I have done it long enough.

Best of luck, I understand what you are going through!