1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my coworker today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sapphiregirl, Jan 19, 2016.

1. sapphiregirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't believe I came out to one of my coworkers today. I've known her for about a year and a half. We work together a lot and I consider her a 'friend' at work. Anyway, she was telling me about a guy she likes. She then asked me if I was seeing anyone. In the past, I've tried to avoid this topic with her many times because I didn't want to tell the truth. Anyway, this time I just smiled and said, "um..." and she said, "you're smiling, so that must mean yes, right!?"

We were then interrupted by a customer (perfect timing). After the customer left, I knew I was going to tell her, and my heart started pounding. I walked around the store like a looney, trying to take a breather and calm myself. I didn't want to tell her, but at the same time I did. I was also a bit worried because I know her religion does not support LGBT people.

I then said, "um, yeah... so, I'm kind of talking to someone." She said, "oh, that's great! Is he nice? Do you like him?" I then just turned to her and said, "um... well, I should probably tell you that... I'm not really into guys."

She paused, smiled and said, "ohhhh, okay!" She looked a bit surprised (who knows what she was really thinking), but I said that I thought I should be honest with her. I don't think she really knew what to say, which I completely understand. It was a tiny bit awkward. She then said, "ah, it's funny how we always assume people are straight."

We had a bit of a talk about it, which was okay. The rest of the evening was completely fine, and the fact that she didn't treat me differently after finding out meant so much to me. I'm just grateful she took it well. Here's hoping work tomorrow will be fine, like usual.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I just wanted to share this with you guys. You don't have to reply or anything. If you're in a similar position and feel scared, just know you're not alone. I know exactly how terrifying it is coming out to people, but I truly believe honesty is always the best policy in this situation. Stay strong!

#1 sapphiregirl, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you! :eusa_clap

I'm glad you found a supportive person to come out to. :grin:. Or that the person you came out to, turned out to be supportive. Erm...either way. Congratulations!

3. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Sapphiregirl!! Fantastic news.

4. Gay1234

Congratulations it must feel great as I know the feeling. Well anyway well done and it's good that you have someone to talk to

5. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s great that you told her and even better that she reacted kindly to it. Hopefully she won’t treat you any differently than she ever has, but even if she does you’ll at least not have the burden of always trying to conceal something.

Kudos to you!