1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AS1989, Feb 3, 2009.

1. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come to a point in my life where I'm not financially (nor mentally) able to have a boyfriend. I've become very stressed with school and work and now other things. I really don't want to hurt him by staying with him... But I know with my current situation, I'll hurt him just as much as I would If I stay with him.

I'm just not sure how I should tell him that the time isn't right, and that I don't know when it will be, and that I want him to be with someone who (for lack of a better way of saying it) is more ready to be in a relationship than I am. I really don't want him to think that it was something he did...and I want him to know that this is something I have to go through alone.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's mainly a financial thing, tell him so. Say you simply can't afford to go out as things currently stand, and so you're simply going to have to say "no" to any outings for the foreseeable future.

As far as your mental state, again, let him know. Tell him you're under a lot of stress and strain for now, and you don't think you're going to be much of a loving boyfriend during that time. Let him know that you'd welcome his support, but you'd understand if he'd rather find someone a bit more "fun".

Lex

3. Mickey

I generally think honesty is the best policy. The longer you wait to talk to him about this,the harder it's going to be. It's hard being in your position.
    I know you don't want to hurt him,but that's kinda what you're already doing,by staying with him.
    I'm not trying to sound harsh,but NOW is the time to end it,so that you BOTH can get on with your lives. I wish you the best.

4. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your help guys, you don't know how much it helped...