1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bullied

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by crookedcurve, Feb 3, 2009.

1. crookedcurve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm out to family and all my friends at school but im still not out to the whole school. However somone must have said something because now things have changed. Now when I stand with my friends at lunch the other guys point at me from across the way and i can see they are talking about me. People purposly run into me with thier shoulders at lunch and call me fag. Now I can handle names just simply because i dont give a shit about what the say BUT now they talk about beating me up and that scares me .....so has anyone ever threatned to beat you up and what did you do and did they follow through and beat you up?

2. curiousdude

When I was in middle school I was bullied much as you describe. For me, it never went any further than the shoving, name calling and threats in the school. With that said, you should definitely take it seriously. I'd be sure to have other people around you when going to and from school. If you think things might escalate, don't hesitate to talk with school officials (start with a friendly teacher or administrator). Your safety is more important than anything else.

3. notquitebutch

I agree with curiousdude. Your safety is the #1 concern, so if you think that they may actually beat you up, talk to someone. A teacher, principal, guidance counselor... just get it out there that you're in danger.

I think you're really strong though to not care about the names. It's cool that you can just own who you are and not care what other people think. :slight_smile:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

You should report any form of bulling to your teacher and/or the school principal. Try not to be alone. If possible be with a friend when you are at school or going home. Don't let it get to a stage where things could get worse. If you have overheard others saying that there is someone that wants to beat you up, go to the principal. Talk with your friends and ask them for support. Also let teachers with whom you have regular contact know.

Is there a LGBT Club at your school? If so, go there as well. Generally they are a safe space for LGBT members to hang out. If you do have a LGBT group at your school talk to someone there as well.

Always remember that your safety comes first. Do whatever you need to do to feel safe.

5. JMar2222

they threaten you because they're scared of themselves, that they might or possibly are gay and never can come to terms with it, rather they beat up someone who's confident like you are, because they're cowards. Report it, always surround yourself with friends, and just know that you never did anything wrong.

6. crookedcurve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the help. Umm no we dont have a club cause i live in a relativley small area
    16,000. I always hang out with my friends and walk home with one so im never alone but still I was just really shocked cause no one had ever threatned to hurt me before. I would tell my parents but when i came out the only thing they were worried about was my safety and i dont really want them to worry .... there is one teacher who im close with so may be i can talk to him but really i just want to get through my last 5 months of high-school.

7. Mickey

Some things never change! I went through this bullshit all through school.
    I ended up quitting and getting my GED.
    And before anyone says anything,I'm NOT advising you to quit!!! I did this back in the 70's,if it were today,I'd do it much differently.
    I agree that you need to talk to someone. It's already gotten physical if people bump into you,on purpose. Your safety is the most important thing. Don't wait for it to escalate,do something now.

8. Markio

Do you have a cell phone? Keep it on you at all times. I have my campus's public safety number on my contact list.

9. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe this is wrong, but when I come out (not out yet) then I'm sorry people but I'm not gonna take any @$!!#$ bull or homophobia. I"m gonna lay the whoop a** on anyone that calls me a fag or threatens to beat me up or whatever.

Do u guys even know what FAG MEANS????? I don't think gay people would call themselves fags if they KNEW what it meant.

Everyone's like "oh, it only means sticks or something. A faget is just a stick". Um, people, that refers to how gay people were prosecuted and burned at the stake in olden times because of their sexuality.

That makes u reeeeeeally kool when u call yourself a fag.

Have a nice day.

10. Triggs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, you really might want to reconsider that. I think your parents may have a valid concern here and since they've obviously accepted the reality (and that still isn't the norm, regrettably). They do worry. period, thats what parents do. Be glad they do, it only means they love you and care about your safety and happiness. Trust them by sharing details about your life, it may not help you getting rid of those creeps, but it will help you getting through it and make your bond with your family stronger. Don't go it alone when you don't have to, life can be hard enough as is.
    And do tell teachers & anyone else who might aid in turning this situation around. You may just call it bullying, but in fact it is a bit more that that, isn't it?
    They're threatening to cause you physical harm, that just might be a crime. They've already managed to scare you. Don't let anyone take your joy of life away without giving them a hard time about it!

Best of luck to you!

11. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    fag is a cigarrette (if i spelt that right)

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

I was bullied a bit back in the day. A couple people threatened me with bodily harm, but no - nobody ever made good on that promise. Think about your school. How many instances do you know of, for a fact, where "X beat up Y after school"? Not threatened to, not "got into a shoving match", but an honest-to-God, bloody-knuckle fight? Probably none. It just doesn't happen as often as it might appear.

I tended to respond to the bullying with sarcasm. So if a guy purposefully knocked me with his shoulder and called me "fag", I might say (loudly) "Funny. YOU're the one who keeps going out of his way to touch ME." This might not be something you can pull off, but it worked for me. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. BiBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been through it and still am. People in Primary School used to shove me about saying stuff like "ahhhh, cant the little bi boy stand up for himself?" and other horrid stuff. They broke my arm cuz they pushed me down the steps.
    But, Secondary is much better, I'm out to my best mate, people dont bully me much cuz of him. But I found that the best thing to do is to tell a teacher or adult ASAP, trust me ignoring them wont work.

14. crookedcurve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies ...... I came into one of my classes in a bad mood today cause some people that I don't even know continued to call me a fag all lunch so my teacher asked why I was upset and I told him cause he is my favorite teacher and he told me to come to him next time that it happens. @Triggs. Yeah I know it isn't the norm and I didn't expect mine to be too happy but they were fine almost right from the get go.