1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Interested In" on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gomez, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    Does it show up on your news feed if you update this? Mine's currently blank and has been since I created my account, but I'm thinking about changing it as a tiny step in coming out.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so but honestly it won't even matter because Facebook is suspected to lose 80% of its users by next year.

3. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good question. A google search gives an inconclusive response (I tried).
    Let me share my experience.
    I got Facebook in September 2011. I stopped using it actively in January 2013. In January 2015, I changed my "interested in" from women to men. It was my first Facebook activity in about two years. I was nervous, but decided that there is no reason that I shouldn't change it. It did absolutely nothing to help people know that I'm gay.

But what I did is different than what you're doing. I merely changed my interested in status from one check to the other. If you initially left it blank and then checked something, it's a good bet that it will show up. I remember from Facebook that when you first create your account, there are a whole bunch of notifications that you updated your statuses (relationships, residence, work, profile picture, etc.), because you initially had a lot of information to provide.

But honestly, I'm not sure. If you don't want Facebook to be the way you come out, then leave it blank. Furthermore, if you come out on Facebook, you might get people asking "Who hacked you?", and you can't blame them because straight people do hack their friends' accounts like that.

4. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    Then I've got a whole year! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for trying to look it up! I didn't get any results either, but I'm thinking you're right... having it blank and then adding something is more likely to show up than not.

I'm not too worried about people not getting it or thinking I've been hacked, simply 'cause my extended family is convinced I'm gay anyway, lol. So it's more like a nod of acknowledgement. I'd rather do that than post an "I'm out of the cloosseeeett!" status where most people are gonna be like What else is new? and the rest I... probably didn't want to be friends with anyway.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I changed it I don't think it showed up. No one said anything about that change to me.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And when I came out for real via FB, people congratulated me and such. I don't think they were aware that I had the "interested in" changed for a loooong time already. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Huhhh it is? Where did you find that? I've not heard of this before. :slight_smile:

6. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think changes in your bio information ever shows up in your friends news feed anymore. It may show up in your activity log, but only you will see that.

Of the years I've been on faceboook I've never seen anyone's change in interest show up in my feed. Plus if you have your settings to private no one would know really anyway.

I don't know many people who look at people's bios anymore anyway. I've thought of changing mine as well over the years, but haven't done it yet.

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I changed my sister's status as a joke. It did show up on her friend's news feed and caused some amused stir. So I think that it most likely will show up unless you change that information to "Me only" in the preferences but then it won't be visible to anyone.