1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% ready to come out, no idea how to do it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by robinxsky, Jan 23, 2016.

1. robinxsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a lesbian (almost 23) and I'm totally ready to come out to my family. I'm out to all of my friends and people in general, if I meet someone new ill tell them so it's not exactly a secret but I just can't seem to tell my family.

My family are totally cool with homosexuality, they aren't religious or anything either and I don't think anyone would have an issue with it, I know it's not going to be a problem but I have no idea how to tell them without it being weird. We aren't particularly close, we aren't the type of family to express our thoughts/feelings or discuss our personal lives, if I was straight I'd still feel really awkward telling my family if I was in a relationship. Because we're not close like that I have no idea how I'm supposed to tell them.

If i write a letter or sit them down and tell them or send a text I feel like that's too dramatic and out of character since we don't have that type of relationship. I'm dating someone I really like I don't want to hide our relationship and if I spend any more time in the closet I'll lose it, I NEED to come out. I don't want to hide an important part of who I am and I can't stand family friends etc continuously asking me if I have a boyfriend.

Please give me some suggestions on how to tell them?!
    Thanks! :kiss:

#1 robinxsky, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    Next time someone asks you if you have a boyfriend, say you have a girlfriend! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Gomez - if your family keeps bringing up relationships, just casually drop the information that you have a girlfriend like it's no big deal. Since you don't have "that type of relationship" with your family, this wouldn't weird anyone out by being too dramatic, like you said.

If they ever ask you where you're going or what you're up to, you could also reply "I'm going on a date..." and let the conversation proceed naturally from there.

4. robinxsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not my family that are bringing up relationships, it's family friends and stuff. My immediate family never ask me about relationships. I wish they did tbh, would make it easier haha

#4 robinxsky, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm, in that case I'm facing sort of the same problem. A lot of my extended family suspects I'm gay, and the rest are more in denial, always asking me when I'm going to bring home a boyfriend and aren't I lonely and blah blah blah.

I've started dropping anvil-sized hints. I posted a facebook status with Bo Burnham's "My Whole Family Thinks I'm Gay" and commented that "well, they're not wrong..." If it doesn't start sinking in soon, I'm going to blame straight-up willful ignorance. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Dasi200

I think it takes time to feel ready to come out. First you have to accept yourself as you are and so then when you come out you are totally comfortable.