1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to an Indian family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mpm500, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mpm500

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey there. I wanted to know if anyone has come out to their Indian family, and how did they take it?? Since I am not sure what it would be like- I'm Indian and because I haven't told anyone... so just a little curious... :confused:

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [YOUTUBE]OIlHt_syoSE[/YOUTUBE]

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a dark place when I realized I was gay and what it meant, coming from a semi-orthodox, traditionalist family. I told my parents I was gay when I was 16. They said that "I didn't know what I was until they told me what I was", so they know me better than myself and that it is just a "phase". It didn't help that I slit my wrists after that.

Following that it was months of psychiatrist appointments and "therapy" with them. I realized then, that even if we were forward-thinking and modern when compared to your average indian family, my family wasn't going to be "as" modern to accept something like LGBTQ+. So I went into the closet. Over the years they asked me sometimes "whether my problem is solved". They wouldn't even refer to it "as" being Gay. So I stuck to my lie of telling them that "I was cured"

I might come out to them again, but not anytime soon. Definitely not before I get a job, move out and become financially independent.

4. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there i come from a very Orthodox Hindu family! last December I came out to my parents! I'm not going to be dishonest by telling you all was OK! No it wasn't , there was a lot of grief , a lot of anger (towards God) , a lot of denial! But eventually they have moved on! They aren't the happiest parents in the world and still think it's a sad and unacceptable thing socially! But they have realised that it's the way I am and they have to accept me for it! My mom has promised me that she will ensure that I will be allowed to live my life the way I want to and that she will support me completely! So yes its not ideal, but hey im able to be me! The main issue I phased was a lot of wrong knowledge and negative publicity around homosexuality making my parents feel scared and uncertain about my future! You see most Indians don't have enough examples to understand the future of a gay son or daughter! It will take time ! They will become happy only when they see your happiness!

#4 Fighter694, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope.
    I haven't come out to my family and I don't think that I ever will. My parents are a bit of control freaks. It doesn't help that I'm confused about my orientation. I've stopped thinking about it, all I care is I'll like whomsoever I want to. I won't come out to my parents. Never.

6. mpm500

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey there, I really do hope that your family understands. I am concerned about that very reason, although I really hope you are happy someday and it works out for you. (*hug*)

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 09:31 PM ----------

Hey, that's exactly what I think about that not many Indian families understand having a gay son or daughter. My mum always says that she wouldn't care, she would just want her child to be happy (we have interesting discussions at the dining table), although my dad would never comment on what she says- and just.. I don't know. I am just afraid how the rest of the family would take it. One of the reasons why I always think of delaying or just push away my coming out is because of how some people in my family think of homosexuality as being "socially unacceptable" and about "what will society think". Now I think I will tell my parents after I graduate from school, but who knows, I might just push it further (I hate it when I do that).

Although I am glad to know that you are happy! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 09:34 PM ----------

I hope it turns out for the best for you, and that you are okay with it. That's all that matters. :slight_smile:

#6 mpm500, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I'm very optimistic and positive about things., So I'm definitely better now and am sure things will work out in the future. :slight_smile:

I hope things will work out for you too. I'm sure they will. :grin:. Though it might not mean much, at least you are in a slightly LGBTQ+ Friendly environment (Australia) even if you live with Indian Parents.