1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure where I am with the coming out process...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Jan 26, 2016.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I have told my best friend, my parents, and my sister (in that order) that I am struggling with figuring out my sexuality. They have all been supportive in whatever I do. I feel like I know I'm gay but can't get myself to be okay with it. Like thats what holding me back from telling more people because once that happens, there is no going back. I don't know if I should take a breather and become more confident in accepting my sexuality or if I should continue telling people and that might give me the confidence I need to accept it. What should I do?

2. NicoC123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to go with what you feel is best. You should definitely take time to fully understand yourself, but in saying that, nothing is set in stone. Sexuality is fluid, and there is turning back. So move at your own pace; this is a sensitive issue with you and who you are there is no need to rush anything. Come out to who you want when you want. You can change your mind later, and those people will be just fine with it if they truly love you.

3. H20

H20

Hey badger! This is actually very normal. I went through this for a while myself. There were times when I was curious or questioning even though I was almost certain of my sexuality. It took me some time to figure it out and I got really stressed out because I wasn't completely certain, and I'm the type of person who doesn't like uncertainty. Keep in mind that you don't need to come out to be confident in your sexuality either. You don't even need experience. It could be you're just nervous or might be feeling pressured by outside forces without knowing it, as the brain likes to do funny things to people. And I agree with NicoC123. Sexuality is fluid and you can always change your mind. The best thing to do is do whatever comes naturally to you and it might be just taking a few breaths and waiting as everything pieces together.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can take some time to fully understand and accept our sexuality and we shouldn't rush the process. Over time, confidence grows and our feelings become clearer and it's best to allow it to happen like that. If we make a hasty decision, or try to rush it, we may regret it later.

It is normal to not feel okay with being gay at first and we may even react against it for a while. In some countries/states we may feel very despondent about being gay because of the overwhelming pressure to conform to the heteronormative standard, but attitudes are changing and acceptance is growing, so there is a lot to be positive about. It's important to focus on those positives.

You have made a great start in telling the important people and they have been very supportive, so maybe now you can begin to explore your sexuality a little more. The closet has a stifling effect on our ability to meet people who can help us to understand our sexual identity, but now the door is open to you badger. Have a think about it, but don't put yourself under pressure.

5. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys! Really helps!