1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sunshine360, Jan 27, 2016.

1. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

So I racked up the courage to come out to my grandparents through email.

They texted me several hours after I emailed them telling me that they loved me and basically that they would pray for me.

I'm worried about how my grandfather reacted to it. I hope he isn't angry or tries to "make" me straight. He's kind of controlling and very set on his views.

Does anyone know how I can respond if he tries to argue with me about my orientation? I want to be respectful but at the same time stand my ground.

#1 sunshine360, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kudos to you for having the courage to come out to them – I’m sure that wasn’t easy!

It sounds to me like they’re very loving and accepting people. You got a great response. My guess is you’re hung up on this one part of their response:

That phrase would seem to imply that there is something wrong or bad that needs to be “prayed” away. It’s not at all abnormal for someone with a deeply religious background to hold these beliefs.

My suggestion would be to try to get them to attend a PFLAG meeting in their area. PFLAG works specifically with friends and families of LGBT individuals, and one of the key areas they focus on is faith. They have a lot of great literature on helping people reconcile their religious beliefs to their families sexual orientation.

3. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

Thank you very much for your reply, Cort. I can try to get them to attend a PFLAG meeting but they might refuse to go. At least I can try.

And their response was great to me but like you said the "pray for me" part bothered me but I expected them to do that since they're rather religious.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if they have religious concerns about you being gay, i find this site to be helpful; WWW.godmademegay.com check it out. it has historic and religous based counters to the common Biblical anti gay arguments.

hope this helps and hugh thumbs up on coming out to your grand parents.:thumbsup:

#4 looking for me, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016