1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother thinks I'm delusional and my sexuality will change

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cryptic, Jan 27, 2016.

1. cryptic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a conservative, religious family. I came out to my mother two weeks ago, even though I was afraid she would cut me off and stop giving me money to finish university. Initially it went better that I expected - she wasn't surprised at all - but then I realised why. According to her I think I'm ugly and because of my insecurity I look up to girls and think I like them in that way. Apparently it was also because I've never been with a guy and I don't even know how that feels, so when I find a right guy, I will stop being delusional.
    That kind of hurt, given the fact that I identify as a lesbian for 7 years now, and looking back at my childhood, I've always felt this way. I tried to tell her that, but she wouldn't listen - I guess she was in denial.

I've been wondering ever since, what should I do? Should I just consider my coming out "done" and live my life or bring it up again and try to explain? I'm scared that once she realizes I'm serious about this, she will stop talking to me and paying for my education. It's pretty expensive and I really want to get a degree. My initial plan was to wait until I've got a job and then tell her, but we were discussing LGBTQA+ rights and she was pretty ignorant about it so I just felt the need to tell her the truth.

What's the right thing to do here? Trying to get her to understand or staying out of "the risky zone"? I'm single at the moment so it's no problem for me waiting a few more years, especially now that I live on my own in a different city than my parents. Any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:

PS. Sorry for all the mistakes, English is not my first language :slight_smile:

2. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You’ve told her the truth – what more can you do?

You can’t control what she chooses to believe or what she chooses not to believe. The only thing you can control is what you believe. Now that you’ve told her, why waste another moment worrying about something that is completely out of your control?

You should be proud that you had the courage to share an authentic part of yourself with her.

It’s only been two weeks. She’s probably going through a process of her own – a process that obviously involves an element of denial.

Give her a little time. Time has a way of softening even the most stubborn of people.

In the meantime, be happy with who you are and know that your happiness and your identity doesn’t have to be conditional on her acceptance or her validation.

I imagine that someday you’ll have a girl to bring home – someone you want to share with your family. Despite her avoidance, she would be forced to confront reality at that point.

Best of luck.

#2 Cort, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. cryptic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your help :slight_smile: I guess you're right, I'll just leave it be and enjoy the rest of my life.

4. BookWriter1994

Tbh I am kind of in the same boat as you.

I didn't came out to parents, but they found out becuase I was wearing a pride bracelet in public and I didn't really think they would notice.

They both say that this isn't me and that I'll find a great guy one day and finding a guy will take time and all that stuff. I started to believe them just a bit becuase I never been with a guy before so my feelings for girls kind of went away for a little bit after that.

Then, for some reason, my feelings for girls came back with a hard slam of a door. And I was starting to believe that maybe it's just possible that I am Pansexual instead of lesbian instead. And so, I had this background picture of the pink, yellow and blue for pansexuals on my phone, and one day my mom saw it and we all had this huge argument about it and mom and dad insisted that I was not a lesbian or that I like girls.

After that, in my mind I'm just like"I don't care what they might know about me. This is my life, it's freaking 2016 and I can date whoever I want."

I try to tell myself that everyday and there are times where I doubt about myself but I tell myself to take one step at a time.

Things will get better for you. I am sure of it. You can tell your mom again if you want to or maybe even wait until after college but do you want to do and jus twice your life whether your mom likes it or not. You deserve to be happy no matter who you love

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have a read of this information Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief as it may help you to understand your mother's thoughts and feelings. It can take time for parents to come round, so try to be patient and avoid getting upset in her presence, if you can. If she sees you getting upset it may convince her that you are not happy about your sexual orientation and that's really not what you want right now. If the frustration is getting to you, come on to this forum and share it with us rather than keeping it to yourself.