1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by matty336, Jan 28, 2016.

1. matty336

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So only my 2 friend's and sister know about my sexuality and it's annoying when my family tell me how "when I get a husband, this will happen" I don't know how they'd react and... they are religious. Technically I haven't seen my whole family for years but if I ever get a girlfriend in the future I wan't them to be prepared and for them to not think it's just a phase. :icon_sad:

2. Really

Only you know if you should come out now but when you get those husband comments, you can certainly start to say things like, "That's not happening."

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Timing is an important consideration and if you are still dependent on your family for security and stability it might not be a good idea to come out right now. If/when you decide to tell them, try to pick a time when stress levels are low and avoid any clashes with big family events or occasions, like birthdays and Christmas.

Religion can be tricky and a lot will depend on their beliefs and opinions about same sex relationships. Some people of faith are very intolerant, but others (like Quakers and Unitarians) are the exact opposite and actively reach out to the LGBT community. Most Anglicans are accepting too, even if the leadership of their Church is lagging behind.

Don't come out in haste, but don't come out in anger either. It's really important to think about it and plan ahead and avoid any arguments about it. If you set a bad tone, it will make the whole process much more painful.

Take a look at the website for FFLAG UK (link follows) - Home and refer your parents/family to the group when you come out as they offer lots of information and support.

4. MrSkittles

Come out when you feel ready. There is no rush.

5. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with Patrick – the approach you should take is very dependent on how old you are, to what extent you’re financial dependent on your parents, and to what extent your parents could react in a very negative way due to their belief system.

If you’re going to be dependent on them for quite some time still and you think that they would react very negatively to coming out, I would consider waiting until you’re out on your own. Parents have a lot of power over their dependent children and can make life pretty miserable if they so choose.

That said, you know your parents better than anyone here. Only you can gauge what they reaction might be. It might also be worth discussing this issue with your sister – she might have some good advice for how and when to tell your parents.