1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secrets5, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I've just found out that anti-discrimination laws don't protect non-binary gender, but they talked in terms of the workforce. Would my university be able to 'kick me out' for being non-binary [and I tell who needs to know] once I secure a place?

Thank-you.

2. Foz

Foz Guest

No university in the UK that I know of would. If a university student doesn't even get kicked out for parading about a campus shouting "die cis scum" and "kill all white men", I'd say you're fine.

Non-binary identities don't have a protection basically because it isn't 'a thing' as such and has a high level of subjectivity, essentially it's self identification. But does that mean the guy who claims to be pastafarian and wears a colander on his head as religious head dress would be kicked out of uni for his completely made up religion? Of course not, you have to physically do something wrong first (and pretty wrong) to even be considered for disciplinary action.

3. tmhjdg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not know the laws or regulations in England, but unless you are going to an outright conservative and religious university, I doubt anything would happen. As the above poster said, you would most likely have to do something actually against the school's code to get reprimanded or kicked out.