1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the right time to come out???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rrnb, Jan 30, 2016.

1. rrnb

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I realized I was bisexual 3 years ago, but I didn't tell anyone in my town but just one friend (who is not my friend anymore btw). I've never felt like I needed to came out because 1. I wasn't 100% sure if I could call myself bisexual and 2. I wasn't dating a girl anymore. So, 2 years ago I made these 3 new friends who became very special to me and now that I'm sure of my sexuality I want to came out to them. The problem is that, well, they don't really need to know about it, right? I've decided that I'd only come out when I date a girl again and that isn't happening this year, so what's the point of telling them that I'm not straight? But also I don't want to lie about who I am anymore, keeping that secret to myself is killing me! What sould I do? :icon_sad:

2. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The right time is whenever you feel you are ready. I know that's not specific, but it's true.

Of course it's not something they need to know, it's your own personal private life that if you want you can keep to yourself. But when you make friends that you really connect to, you naturally want to share personal things with them. Why? Because those things are important to you. Just like how we share stories about our families or our kids or bf/gf, because those are things we care about and want others to know. Now I know you said you don't have a gf so it's not quite that level of lieing/holding in an entire relationship (which I've done and is very self degrading). And your bi, not lesbian, so even in conversations of "oh that boys hot" you can still handle it ok I assume (which I could not). But if you feel like its something you want them to know (even if its just because you feel like your going to burst by lieing and holding it in) then tell them.

Only come out if you think you are ready. And if you decide you are then how is a whole nother question/struggle.

3. arieltyler

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if it's bothering you, just come out! obviously it's much easier said than done but you don't need to be in a same sex relationship to call yourself bisexual! the "right time" to come out is only when you feel ready, safe, and comfortable to do so!

4. AAASAS

Come out when you feel ready, but use caution, get used to the idea of it prior to, as in sort of focus on the fact you are going to have to do it.

It is easy to push things to the back of your mind, and just ignore it. Some people never fully feel ready to come out and either need to be pushed or push themselves; more when you are older.

At your age it is getting to the point where you know it will be in your best interest(unless you are financially dependent on someone that may not take it well) to just bite the bullet.

You honestly may never feel fully ready, but you can know when you have emotional(friends) support and financial independence. If you are either of those things, or again your finances don't depend on a potential homophobe, just do it.

Life is a bit too short to hide something like that(again just for your sake, not for anybody else, but you will be happier). And obviously everyone deserves to be happy, so why not give it yourself in the near future?

5. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve grappled with this same issue.

I’ve known I’m gay for quite some time and want to tell people, but part of me wants to keep it a secret until I’m actually in a relationship. It’s almost like I want to be in a relationship before telling people so that I can have some sort of “proof” to show them, lest they think that I’m lying or confused about myself.

So the rationale goes that no one “needs to know” until I’m in an actual relationship.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it can prevent (or delay) said relationship from ever coming to fruition.

By keeping such a big part of yourself a secret from your closest friends, you are implicitly saying to yourself that something is inherently wrong with you - something needs to be hidden. You may not consciously think it’s wrong, but hiding it builds up a stigma inside of you. This internal stigma can get in the way of exploring potential relationships and can fuel fear, self-doubt, and uncertainty.

By being open with your closest friends, you can build more confidence in yourself and gain a higher level of comfort with your orientation.

I’ve found that, at least for me, it’s much easier to find a healthy relationship with someone when I’m able to approach it from a place of self-confidence and authenticity – rather than a place of secrets and cover-ups.

#5 Cort, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016