1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My classmates- do they know or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tritri, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in a weird situation. I do not know if my classmates know that I am gay or not. As of now, there is one person (outside the internet) who I know for sure knows that I am gay. It is my social studies teacher (see my "out status").
    I told my class before, but they might have thought I was joking. Here's a conversation with me and a girl whose first name starts with a P.
    P: What are the odds we find you a girlfriend? (we were playing that "what are the odds" dare game)
    Me: Zero!
    P: Do you have a crush on any girls in our school?
    Me: No.
    P: Do you have a crush on any boys in our school?
    Me: No.
    P: Do you like girls or boys?
    Me: Boys.
    P: Oooh. Would you date a guy in high school?
    Me: Um... maybe.
    *some time later*
    P: lol, all the other boys in our school will grow up to be losers at McDonald's while you will be a super rich mathematician with a hot wife!
    Another girl: ...or husband.
    (I described this same scenario in a previous thread I started)

I have a few other situations that may be used as evidence. All of these instances happened after the one I just described.
    1) Prom last year, people asked me to go with a girl. I told one of the girls I'd rather go with a guy, and she said "dude it has to be opposite sex!"
    2) whenever people talk about relationships and updates in their dating lives, the spotlight never turns on me. I somewhat wish it would, so I would know if they knew.
    3) a girl in my class asked me if I supported gay marriage or not (this was before it was made legal in all 50 U.S. states)
    4) during accounting class, a girl asked the teacher (right in front of me) if he would kick his kid out of the house for being gay. "I would seriously consider it," he replied. "I don't agree with that lifestyle"
    5) This year again, people asked me to go to prom with this one girl. I said no. I didn't go to prom at all last year, and this year I am going solo. After I said no, one girl said "I'm not going to try forcing him into a date; I'm just glad he's going". I replied to her and another girl saying, "Thank-you for not trying to talk me into it"
    6) during a talk with my social studies teacher, she specifically asked me if my classmates knew. I think this means that she hasn't heard anything from anybody other than me.

My school is minorly homophobic. We have a lot room for improvement, but it can DEFINITELY get MUCH worse. There have been other openly gay kids at my school. What happens is that for a week or so, a lot of crap and rumors go around, all like "OMG is she really a lesbian?!" and such, and after that it quiets down.

I don't want to make a fool out of myself by telling people I'm gay and them being like "Dude... we already know. You told us" but I don't want them to think I'm into girls. What should I do? Should I refuse to dance with any girls at prom? I wouldn't mind dancing with a girl if she knows that I'm gay, but I wouldn't dance with a girl who thinks I'm straight. And if I don't know if she knows I'm gay, I will have to make a tough decision.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Unless you want to go solo, perhaps see if there's a guy willing to go with you to the date [boyfriends or not] and then see people's reaction. If they already knew or don't care, then they won't react - or at least not in a negative way, if they didn't know then they might be asking ''are you really gay?''.

3. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to a very small school of only about 15 - 20 kids in each class. There are currently no openly LGBT members at my school, except possibly me. I don't meet new people very often, so it's unlikely that I will find another guy to go with before prom dates are due. I don't think I could find a male date.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I hear at least overtly that you are out in some manner but it seems people are supportive if not tolerant... except for your teacher you mentioned.

5. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well this happened in class today (I am the original poster in this thread, for those of you who haven't noticed).
    People were writing names up on the board of marriage. Say your name is Marisa T and people think you'll marry Matthew W. They will write Marisa W on the board, and joke that she will marry him.
    The girl doing it wrote down [a girl's first name] [my last name] for one of them.
    I looked at it and said, "I'm guessing that's my brother?" and people laughed and said "good one".
    Even though it was only meant as a joke, this tells me that they don't know that I'm gay. At least, *some* people don't know that I'm gay. And those who do know (if anybody besides my social studies teacher) must not think much of it, verifying what Kasey said.

6. scapaviella

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be upfront about it, maybe? Say something like, "Just to check - you do know I'm gay, right?" Keep it lighthearted, and good luck! :slight_smile: