1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on how to come out to grandparents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Daydreamer1, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like I've made a post about this before, but I don't remember.

The more I hear about my grandma on my dad's side through my cousins, the more I want to reconnect with her. I haven't seen her since I was four or five, sometime before my grandpa passed away. I'm all for seeing her again, but I'm not sure how she'd react to seeing me since I've come out and everything. I'm not sure if she's still really old school or she's inherited any bigoted thoughts or viewpoints since coming to the States back in the 40s or so, though I believe one or two of my cousins that see her are queer.

I also want to reconnect with her because I plan on getting a koi fish tattoo to honor my heritage, and I want to incorporate her name into it if things go well. I want to reach out, but I'm scared of any bad reactions that might come out of it--especially since 99% of the family on my dad's side hasn't seen me since I was really young (with one or two cousins last seeing me when I was in the 6th grade).

Any advice is welcome.