1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out (Chapter 2): Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pumpion, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Pumpion

I've been documenting my coming out as bi for a while, but I think it's time to tell my parents that I'm non-binary.
    Buuuuuuut I don't know how XD I've gathered a few resources to help them understand once I actually do tell them, but it's the actual telling them I'm non-binary that scares me.
    They know I'm bi, but this is completely different, this is an entirely different ball game. This is getting them to use new pronouns, new ways to refer to me as, and (maybe) changing my legal gender. But I don't want to get to the changing the gender just yet, I at least want to wait until I become an adult (next year).
    But how could I tell them?

2. Eye Shine

I would suggest to either just tell them casually or write a letter if you're scared. One advantage you have already is that they already know your bi. It's very unlikely for them to kick you out or belittle you at this point if that is what you are worried about. Since they have already accepted you I would believe that they would accept all of you and that includes the fact that you are non binary. Once they know you should tell them what pronouns you want to be known as. As long as you give them some leniency if they make a mistake the pronouns you should be fine. If you feel like you can't explain the entire explanation behind non binary while under fire with questions a letter would be the optimal choice. If you think you can explain it to them calmly while they ask questions telling them face to face would be best. Also if you tell them face to face. You could try telling the most accepting member in you family first and use them as a back up when you tell the hardest person an example would be your dad.

Anyway have a great day and I hope I helped a bit.