1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Questioning Coming Out Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Confusedmoose, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this post is actually a lot different than what it originally was going to be, but I'm really glad that it is.

I was almost half way through writing a post where I was going to ask about how to come out to someone as questioning and if I even should until I knew what I was for sure. I'm out to a few people, but only to one friend (the other people are close family members) and that was because relationships came up in conversation and my questioning just sort of came up. So up until this point I have never really sat any of my friends down and announced that I was questioning my sexuality.

At the same time I was writing this, I got a facebook message from an old friend from high school. Now I knew that this friend had gone through her own questioning in the past so I knew that if I should come out to anyone it should be her. After quickly saying hi, I said to her that I had to tell her something: I'm not straight- I don't know what I am but I'm not straight. I'm so glad I did. She was very supportive and told me this piece of advice: The most important thing to focus on is you are you and you're awesome! No matter what happens you're going to be okay! :thumbsup:

I just wanted to share that with anyone who is nervous about coming out, especially if they don't know what orientation they are. That has made me so much more confident to continue to come out :icon_bigg

2. H20

H20

I'm not in the questioning stage anymore as much as occasionally I still get doubts, but I think it mostly has to do with nerves. Besides, I'm learning to accept myself for me and if that means my sexual orientation in whatever way changes, that's okay.

As for coming out to others as questioning, that's your decision. If you think it'll help you feel better or think more clearly, or if talking about it will help you out like it had with your old friend, then by all means speak up. However, it's your decision and if you don't want to come out to the whole world or everyone you know as questioning, perfectly A.O.K. Just go at the pace most suited for you and of course, as your friend said, focus on you are you and how awesome you are. You're gonna be okay in the end.

:thewave:

3. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks H20, it's nice to hear that. Sometimes I feel like I'll always be questioning. Talking seems to help me and I'm glad that I said something to her, but I am definitely going to go at my own pace with coming out and only come out when it feels right. Thanks for the support :slight_smile: It means a lot.