1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents in a couple of weeks

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Feb 8, 2009.

1. EM68

This week I came out to my sister and I feel soo good right now. I saw her today and she gave me a big hug and wanted to know how I was feeling. I told her that I felt liberated by telling her.Then I asked if she told my brother in law which I told her she could do because he was able to hear the conversation. She did tell him. He said to her 'oh is that it' and the he asked if I was happy and my sister said yes and he said cool.

While talking the other night she told me that my parents will probably take it well after the initial shock. This is how I feel. She also said that I should tell them sooner than later, which I have been thinking. Now that my sister knows I don't want her to be the only one to know this part of me. Our family has had too many secrets. So now I have a plan. In a couple of weeks I am going to give them a letter that I have had typed out since New Years. I just want to get it over with. I would tell them next weekend but we are all getting together to celebrate my mom's birthday.

Right now my I am not too sure how to come out to my twin brother. My sister thinks that he will accept me after the shock of the news. I am not too sure. Over the years he has made some comments and as far as I know he only know one gay person. He is the cousin of my soon to be ex sister in law. And he sees him maybe once a year if that. On top of that he is going through a lot. He just got laid off and his divorce is being finalized in a week or so. I have been thinking of telling my parents in a couple of weeks, then tell my brother after that, but I am not too sure. :help:

2. biisme

It sounds like you have your parents all figured out. I hope the letter goes well. (*hug*)

As for your brother, I would at least wait until he is done with his divorce. Not to say that he would think it is bad, but just that his mind is probably on other things right now. However, you can always try to bring up the subject of homsexuality in conversation to get a better idea of what he thinks about it.

3. starfish

The next few weeks might not be a bad time to come out to your brother. When I am going through a rough spot I tend to become very cynical and tend to take any news as, well that is the end of the world and I don't care. I think the reason I do that is because I can't focus on any new stuff, so I just assume the worst, accept it and move on.

Your brother's lay off might be a good indication of how he will take the news. Is he bitter and pissed off at the company, or is it more like ok onto the next thing? If it is the latter there is a good chance that he will react well.

4. EM68

He took his layoff well and took it in stride. He had a feeling it could occur. His group went through a number of reorgs and a few of the projects he worked on were canceled over the past few months.

5. Mickey

Whatever you decide to do,know that we got your back.
    I,personally,think that you'll feel so much better,once you do this.
    Of course,the order in which you do it,is up to you. Good luck!

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like they'll be supportive, and you're more or less at the point where (I think) you just want to get past this. So do it. I don't think you'll need luck, so I'll wish you courage instead. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think the plan of coming out to your brother first is good. I am so happy for you that your sister is so supportive.

In regards to your brother, a wise man here on EC once said to me:

Yes, and as you know, don't come out to your brother when you see that he is upset or really stressed out, because you do want to make sure that he has your full attention. But given that he seems to be taking his layoff in strides, and seems to have expected it, I think his economic situation should not really hold you back. However, I would say (and as biisme mentioned) wait until his divorce is finalized. Not sure how he has taking that but if it does causes a lot of stress for him, then it might be best to wait until it is finalized.

If you are not sure how he might react, I think it would be good if you would mention your sister's acceptance and support when you do come out to him. At the same time, if you two are close, and have a good relationship, I don't really see why he would not be accepting. Sometimes things are being said about homosexuality but as soon one finds out that someone in the family is gay, that changes. He might even feel bad for the things that he has said in the past.

I do agree with your sister that telling your parents sooner rather than later is best. You have written the letter. Maybe update the letter to include your sister's support and acceptance. If you do come out to your brother beforehand, include that in your letter as well.

I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide. :slight_smile:

8. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

I wish you courage too! I'm sure it will go well.

9. starfish

It looks like all of your ducks are in a row, so may the winds be at your back.

#9 starfish, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. Pendrin2020

Good luck to you and I wish you all the best, man. Get to it.

11. EM68

Right now I think I am at the point were I don't need luck or courage because this is something I AM going to do, coming out to my parents.

After sleeping on it I am leaning towards telling my parents first them telling my brother. By then his divorce will be final and that will be one less thing he needs to think about. He will be in a better frame of mind because he just wants to move forward with his life. Also he lives in NH about 2 hours away, so he is not all that close. He comes down every other weekend when he picks up his kids and take them for the weekend. I am thinking of maybe taking him out to lunch some time or ask him on a day when he drops off the kids if he can come over to my parents place. They live a mile away from my niece and nephews and tell him then.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Your brother already knows a gay that is really close to him Ed..... YOU! :slight_smile: I'm sure everything is going to be fine. Just curious....is your twin identical?

#12 beckyg, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  13. s5m1

Great news about your sister and brother-in-law! As for the rest of your family, I think our focus (yours and mine) on what is going on in our family members’ lives to determine when we should come out to them is really just us finding reasons (excuses?) to put it off. There will always be things going on in their lives that we can use to say it is not the right time for them. The real question should be, “Is this the right time for you?” If so, go for it.

14. EM68

I'm a fraternal twin. Its funny after reading everyone's responses I am not really worried anymore with my brother. I just want to live my life! Thanks guys! (&&&)

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's good! I think it will be fine! (*hug*)

16. JMar2222

Good luck! You have a plan, stick with it, and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!

17. EM68

I don't know why but today I am totally stressed out. I am not stressed out in telling my family. I am soo ready. I want to tell them and tell them NOW. I can't because this weekend we are celebrating my mom's birthday, so I know its not a good time. I just feel like its all bottling up inside me and I feel like I am about to explode. On top of that I had a lousy week at work.

My best friend finally called me back but I was at work so I could not come out to him there. :bang::bang: He called to tell me that his wife had their twin girls and his wife had some complications. I am glad he called me, but I wish he called me at home so I could talk to him more. Even with that, I don't think it would be the time to come out to him. I don't know.

I know that everyone has said look at how happy and free you will feel when you come out to everyone. I know that and understand. I want to get to that point but right now it seems so far away. I really don't have any questions, I just needed to vent. :bang::bang:

18. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll get there. :slight_smile:

Lex

19. EM68

Its the waiting that is driving me crazy!

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The waiting IS the hardest part. Every day, you get one more yard. You take it all in faith, you take it to heart. The waiting is the hardest part.

...hm. That's kinda catchy. I should write it down, set it to music or something.

Lex