1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncertain family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alisa Arwen, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Alisa Arwen

I am thinking about how I might tell my family about my gender identity. There are a few not so close relatives about whom I do not give a damn.

The real issue is that there a couple who I am unsure about. One is my mother. I think she would be ok with it, but I cannot be sure. Her husband, my stepfather is probably not going to be impressed. That might impact my brother. He is only 11.

The other is my grandfather. I love him deeply. He has supported me through so much of my struggle with mental health. I am told he might be homophobic, and I have no idea where he stands on trans issues.

Any advice on how I might go about figure out where they stand so I can figure it all out?

2. Alisa Arwen

I do not know where to start...

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Do you like any television shows or like any subjects that might lead you onto LGBT? That way you're not talking about yourself and since you're talking about something you already like then they'd have no reason to suspect anything if they are against it.

Or you could start a general dinner conversation of "what are your opinions surrounding LGBT?" and see what they say.

4. Alisa Arwen

Well, right now I am in a different country...

5. Alisa Arwen

How do I start?