1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major advice for myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dapat, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Dapat

Dapat Guest

I'm intending on coming out to my male best friend for the past 5 years tomorrow. We'll be walking home from school together alone so i figured it'll be as good a time as any.

The first person i came out to was via message, but I'd like to do it personally this time around for obvious reasons.

I would really appreciate any major advice for long term friends in terms of coming out.
    I don't need to test the waters or anything as he's a very strong believer in equality and one of our close friends is Bi which he was very understanding and supportive of.

One major thing i'd like help with is how i'd start the conversation. I'd like it to be a little more casual rather than the whole "I have something important to say" as I feel being so formal would intimidate him. So any advice there?

Also, I usually get pretty bad anxiety when I attempt to talk about my sexuality or anything of a personal nature to begin with, though it's not impossible. Any ideas how to make it easier on myself and how to keep calm would also help.

The reason this particular person i'm seeking advice for is because once he knows, everyone else i'm friends with should be able to know.

Basically i'd like any advice anyone is willing to give, no matter what it's about. Thanks if you respond!

2. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! :smilewave
    Maybe you could start the conversation out with "Oh just so you know" or "By the way". This can be a way to subdue the shock and will usually cause people to be more calm about it. By being more casual you are telling him that you don't think its a big deal and it shouldn't effect your friendship. Make it low-key. Also with friends you've known for a long time you should be gentle so you don't "scare them off".
    Best of Luck! (*hug*)

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know you're (one of if not) my best friend right? There's something I want to tell you.

If they say something like "oh yea go ahead", then two things.

1. They are open minded and a good friend.
    2. They probably know what you are going to say if you open with something like that.
    3. Like the other poster said don't go all defensive on people. Don't push them away just come out with it. And don't dwell on it. If you don't make it a big deal then they won't either.

4. Dapat

Dapat Guest

Thanks you two! :slight_smile: