1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out as Trans [ftm]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by demigodjay, Feb 10, 2016.

1. demigodjay

My transition is sort of complicated right now... I had previously posted that I came out to my mom, but nothing has happened since then. I don't know if it's me (we tried to talk about it when we were alone but I had a mental breakdown and couldn't talk about it) or if she's not making an effort. I know she's supportive. In fact, now that she knows, if strangers "misgender" (call me male pronouns) me in public she doesn't correct them.
    I'd like some advice on how to be able to talk to her about it. My family is usually not a very vocal family about our feelings, and it's hard for me to talk about it because usually thinking about it causes me to have a mental breakdown. Can someone tell me how they gained enough trust to tell their mom/dad about their feelings?
    (&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wrote my parents (and my friends for that matter) a letter. I did this because I find it hard to get what I want to say out when I'm in front of the person but if it's written I feel so much more comfortable. I had a similar response from my parents but my friends are supportive - they keep forgetting to call me Seth but they're trying. I'm going to write my parents another letter because they seem to think I've forgotten about it or that it wasn't real in the first place.

God luck! I hope it goes well for you whatever you decide to do! - xøSeth

3. panda2

Yes a letter might be easier for you, I know that I wouldnt be able to talk about it face to face if it was me. Or maybe a text or email? Just try not to push yourself too hard, you will get there eventually :3 Im happy that you came out tho, congrats dude ^-^ Sorry I don't have very many suggestions at all, if you want any more help on something, just let me know :slight_smile:

4. demigodjay

Thanks guys! It's helpful. I've just been trying to work away from needing to write everything out (at this point we communicate about this by email) and just being able to say what I feel.