1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do think Mom's always know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by limfjord96, Feb 9, 2009.

1. limfjord96

Hey Ya'll,

While i still feel like shit for my feelings ive been having (i know i shouldnt but i do so thats all got) i have slowly been mulling over every scenerio in my head a thousand times and it occured to me that i think my mom might already suspect. She sent me a thank you letter for all the christmas gifts ( i mean a lot of gifts, i got five brothers a sister and like 8 nephews/nieces, damn Irish folks). i read it, and it said i love you yadda yadda yadda, we are so proud to have you in out lives yadda yadda yadda, but then comes this one line that i dont know if i am over analysing, or if she is subtle telling me she knows. it goes like this:

"Mostly, thanks for being so amazing. we are honored to be your parents and so proud of you. I KNOW THERE IS SOMEONE JUST WAITING TO SHARE YOUR LIFE (AND OURS!) WHO WILL ADORE AND APPRECIATE YOU FOR ALL YOU ARE."

I mean is it me, or is that saying, "dude, i know youre gay, or atleast not totallt straight." why wouldnt she say i know there is some girl out there for you like most people say. I know my mom would be cool with it, but unfortunately i am not even cool with it yet.

I would love anyones thoughts on the matter.:help:

#1 limfjord96, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Lychee

I reckon she might suspect, or maybe she is just trying to be politically correct, just in case? I totally see how it could be either nothing, or her meaning that she doesn't care, or even knows that you're not straight? How long is the letter? Because if it's really long then that might not mean too much, because it could just be randomly chucked in there, but if it's short, then it would probably mean more

Sorry that this isn't much help - I'm kind of confused too xD

3. limfjord96

:kiss:
    lol...confusion is like my main MO lately. Its a real quick note in a small card and consists of what is above and preceeded by the following:

"dear daniel, thank you so much for the great gifts. my necklace is perfect and i love it. plus it matches a bracelet that i got from (my brother and sisters names) last year. obviously the keyboard is the best of the best and it will be such a great change."

"mostly- thanks for being so amazine...etc." (see above)

Totally through me for a loop. all she had to do was say, "honey are you gay?" in an email and i could say , "yeah maybe." but now i am sitting here playing indiana jones trying to figure out these heiroglyphics. but hey atleast shia lebouff was in the last one

4. riddlerno1

To be honest, it does seem thats the meaning you are interpretaing from that message. It could be that shes hinting at you meeting a girl and stuff. However, you know your mum better than us. In some ways it sounds like you actually want to tell her and thats what your reading into the message. Just a thought!

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mothers do tend to be able to pick up on things about their children. When I came out to my mother, she wasn't surprised at all. It sounds like she might have an idea that you're not straight, but it's hard to tell from that little information. It does sound to me like she'll be open and accepting no matter what, so that's fantastic :grin:

6. Greggers

Mothers will always know more than you suspect. They often know more about yourself than you do haha. They all show it in a different way though. Some mothers WILL drop alot of hints like "Mostly, thanks for being so amazing. we are honored to be your parents and so proud of you" and such. Some mothers just say this alot though naturally. If you have noticed that this is happening more and more recently? I think she could be trying to say she would always love and accept you.

But it sounds like, even if she has no clue your might be gay, that she would accept you no matter what. Those are some really kind words your mother gave you, and they dont sound like they came from a woman who wouldent accept her son for being gay. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile: I wish you luck for whenever you do decide to tell her, or if she finds out otherwise! (*hug*)

7. Pendrin2020

Mums always want grandkids. Irish mums will kill for Grandkids. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the wording. I think she's just encouraging you to start or keep dating.

I do believe that mom's are significantly more sensitive to knowing their children are gay ahead of time, but you'd be surprised at just how many are utterly blown away by the news.

I'd say work on you for now and wait for the family. Don't worry about them for now.

8. EM68

She may suspect something. From what you said in a previous post that you have not been with a man or woman beyond kissing. Now have you had many girlfriends? If you have a lack of a dating history then she may know something is up.

I have had a similar situation. I have had a lack of girlfriends around and when my mom asked I would come with lame excuses. Over the past few months she has said to me you are a good son and I am so proud of you etc. She even asked if there was any single girls at the office I work at. I had to bite my lip. :bang: This is part of the reason why I want to tell my parents now. I want to let them know that I won't be bringing any woman around but maybe a nice guy.

With all this said, you need to work on you and coming out fully to you. Until then don't worry about your mom or anyone else. (*hug*)

#8 EM68, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Since you have five brothers, she probably knows you are different. Are your brothers older than you? My guess is she's telling you everything is going to be okay even if you are gay. She may not know for sure but she may suspect.

10. Apocalypte

Mine doesn't! She seriously panicked when my brother's GF had a stomach bug one morning from a dodgy takeaway the night before. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Then again, she's in her mid-40s and doesn't feel ready to be a granny!

11. xequar

Moms always know. I came out at age 25, and when I did, my mom told me she had known since I was 12. Given that her and my dad had cornered me probably five different times and asked me if I was gay, the first roughly around my freshman year of high school, I knew she wasn't kidding, either.

But, it won't be "for certain" in her mind until you tell her. Whether her note was meant to coax you out, I won't say for certain, but I would suspect she's trying to make you feel at ease to come out to her when you're ready.

12. SpacerX

by the sound of it, the worst that can happen i that she'll be a bit shocked. i'm sure she would be glad that you told the truth and shared an important part of your life with her.

13. Bryan44

My mom says stuff like that all the time to me. About how someday someone will find me and we'll be happy. And how she loves me for who I am, and no matter what she always will. But I have no idea if she knows anything, Ive never mentioned anything, or given the slightest clue (at least i dont think so). So i think moms do know alot more than we assume that they know.

14. From what people around here have said, their mothers seemed to always have known. My mom didn't give any inclination that she knew all along but she certainly wasn't hugely shocked either. So maybe they're just good at picking up unconscious cues we give off and just wait for us to reaffirm it. I don't know for sure.

15. myra

she probably knows, just cuz she's a mom. But then again, she may be completely oblivious. Have you been single awhile? or at least appeared that way to her. Have you expressed some kind of wanting to find your soul mate to her? to me, that sounds like a mom just being encouraging and wanting you to be happy with someone who loves you. She may mean male or female, but i don't think there's that much to read into.

16. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Hmm. . .to me it doesn't seem as though she is hinting. Though I do agree that mother's do tend to know, even subconsciously if not consciously, and that the "someone" rather than "girl" may have been a Freudian slip. . .

17. starfish

From the questions my Mom has asked in the past I know she knows. The cool thing is that I have never gotten a bad vibe from her about it. She just wants to be sure I am happy.

18. kramer362

Thats exactly how my mom is. It's kind of an unspoken thing because one time when I was acting kind of depressed she told me I needed to start dating, and asked if I was interested in any girls. I'm 22 so people are definitely questioning that fact, so then she asked if I was interested in any boys, haha. It was wicked awkward and I just laughed and shrugged it off, but she's gotta know. At least she didn't do it in a way that made it seem she'd be disappointed, it was more of an attempt to see what would make me happier.

As for moms knowing, I think a lot of them know deep down, I mean they watch you grow up from the time you were born, and notice any little ticks that you develop or anything that makes you seem different from most kids. Unless their son is a super masculine star athlete who is always dating girls and good at faking those relationships, I bet most parents get an inclination.

19. Miles D

Well, like everyone else has said, yeah she might suspect something, but it might not necessarily mean she thinks you're gay. My family knew shit was up with me before I came out, but they had NO idea that what I wasn't telling them was that I'm a boy! She might just know you're not being honest with her and have no idea what you're not sharing. You never know!
    (P.S. Coming out to parents is TOTALLY one of the most awesome things I've done... it just feels great to talk about it.)

P.P.S. YAY for San Diego!!

20. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

Lol, my mom has been doing almost the same thing. She knows this past year, there has been something bothering me. She noticed that I'm not nearly as happy as I have been in the past. She's tried sitting down and talking to me so many times about whats on my mind. I haven't caved yet. I think that she believes i'm stressed from work to be honest. I don't think she knows, but I'm 24 now and haven't exactly brought any girls home yet lol. So thats really the only sign to work off of. So one time she sat me down, she's like "I think you should get a girlfriend. It will get your mind off things. and you won't be so down." So either she thinks its work getting me down, or she wanted to see how I reacted when she said gf.

But this year, I've been getting sentimental cards from her too. "A son like you brings a special kind of pride- in the kind of person you've always been and as you've grown, in the wonderful man you've become. A son like you brings so much happiness to life. Hope you know how much you're appreciated and most of all how much you're loved." I always got nice cards from her, but never like this up until the past few months lol.

I'm taking mine at face value. I think yours is along the same lines. Its awesome if they have a hint and don't care, because it will make telling them so much easier in the end. And I know the exact feeling you have. They may know, but we're not comfy with it yet ourselves.