1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to Parents as Bi???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by girlonline, Feb 13, 2016.

1. girlonline

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi :smilewave So I actually haven't been on here on a while, but I've been doing a whole bunch of thinking in the meantime and have finally decided two things: 1.) I'm Bisexual and 2.) I want to come out to my parents.

The only person I'm out too right now is my best friend, who is incredibly supportive and caring about the whole thing. But now I want to come out to my parents and and younger sister as well. I was thinking about coming out to my other friends first, as I know they'll probably be more supportive than my parents, but I keep getting this sort of gut feeling that I should come out to family first, sooo...
    Here are my problems...

A: My family (mainly my mum) are pretty bi-phobic, and are only supportive of gays and lesbians. My mum says that Bisexuals are just confused, and that the only sexualities that exist are lesbian and gay.
    B: HOW do I come out to them?????

Any adivice would be appreciated, tysm xxx (*hug*)

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think that it is great that you want to come out to your parents. I would say that it is all about education. My situation is a bit different, because I'm still questioning, but I think that it will still help. My mom was similar. She was fully supportive of being gay (she had no problems with it whatsoever), but she couldn't understand how people could be attracted to both men and women and didn't get bisexuality. However, as I explained more things and talked to her, she started getting it. Sometimes people are just not educated enough about the subject. It doesn't mean that their beliefs won't change.