1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's my mum's birthday this week... should I hold off coming out to her until after?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bounced, Feb 13, 2016.

1. bounced

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the past few weeks I feel like I have finally come to terms with my sexuality and have started to embrace being gay. I am still really worried about what my friends and family are going to say but I know that I am still going to tell them all. I am going to tell my cousin tomorrow when we catch up for lunch, I have already told her I have 'some news' so I won't be able to back out.

I was going to tell my mum and my sister this week too, but it's my mum's birthday on the weekend and I was wondering if I should wait until after to tell her so that it isn't on her mind or distracting everyone when we're celebrating? I'm guessing she is going to have a lot of questions and will be very shocked and while I'm sure she'll be OK with it I don't know if it will take her a while to get used to the idea.

Do you guys think I should wait? Or do you think I should tell her first so when I see her on the weekend we can talk about it?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

Re: It's my mum's birthday this week... should I hold off coming out to her until aft

I came out just before Christmas and my mum just called it "Her little Christmas surprise" :roflmao:

I don't think it makes much of a difference, in fact some may appreciate it.

3. Kj802

Re: It's my mum's birthday this week... should I hold off coming out to her until aft

In essence it really depends on your mum. If you honestly believe that telling her before/during her birthday will make he day worse, than if you want you mum to be happy wait. But if you feel she won't care then it probably isn't such a big deal. Just do whatever you are comfortable with.
    Xx