1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly coming out to parents finally.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kj802, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Kj802

Hey so I've been thinking about coming out my parents a lot in the last week. I've been out to most of my good friends for about a year and a bit. I haven't come out to my parents because they are Christians and homophobic. But I managed to bring up the subject inconspicuously and they didn't seemed angry or violent towards the idea, just not compliment with it. So I think I'm gonna do it. I have even gone as far as writing a letter. Once I get my friends to read it I share it on here. I hope to come out with them within the next few days.
    Xx

2. Nobo

If they are homophobic you might not want to fo it because they might kick you out if they are homophobic you should be financially dependent on yourself before you come out(i am no expert on this I just know this from being on this site for a while)

3. Kj802

I know, I have thought about that possibility. During that conversation I mentioned I was able to ask what they would do if one of their children were gay or whatever. They said they wouldn't understand and that they would try to work through it, but they would still love us.
    I don't believe they'll kick me out.

4. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nobo is right, I have heard of homophobic parents who disowned their children because they are gay. Once you can support yourself and have moved out, then you can think about coming out to them.

5. Kj802

I do know of those stories. But I also know that my parents struggled for three years through IVF to have children. That my mother cried for hours on end because my dad was infertile. After the struggle they went through to have me I don't believe they would ever consider disowning me.