1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you make of this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Legnaj, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Ok I don't by any means consider my mother dumb in any way shape or form. She can sometimes ask dumb questions but she has a sharp mind. I've been keeping myself a secret for sometime and lately I've been wondering how well. After she found out that the girl who she thought I was on the "down low" with was actualy dating my best friend, she has been acting strange. She stopped asking about her and lately has been bringing up a lot of short random gay topics like "oh the doctor I visited today is gay because he acts it" "gay people are nice, I know one" "this gay guy at my job" things like that. While she was watching prayers for bobby she caught me off guard by saying "why are you acting so strange". I've been trying to come out to her for a while but I don't know how to go about it and the question is...does she know and is trying to help me?

2. ArcaneVerse

Sounds like she might know or suspect something i mean its a little bit random to start mentioning everything relative to gays that she comes across but i dont know your mother at all.

has she often mentioned gay people she knows or has met before now?

3. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Thats the thing, after watching "Prayers for Bobby" she has started to mention stuff about her gay friends. She has brought it up before but never with other random gay sound bites. She is giving me a head-ache. :dry:

4. lostinthought9

I think she probably does suspect something. You said you've been wanting to come out to her...maybe she's giving you these opportunities?
    whatever you do decide...Good Luck. :slight_smile:

5. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she is ready for you to come out to her! She seems really cool and I think this is just her way of letting you know that she is fine with it and suspects something.Since you have mentioned wanting to come out to her before, go for it!!!

6. Mickey

Hmmm,I'd say it's very possible,especially if she has never made comments like this before.
    Next time she brings up something like that,I'd ask her how she would feel if one of her children were gay. Then you'll know better what to do about coming out. She may even ask you,before you tell her,if you ask her how she would feel about it.
    At any rate,you'll at least know her thoughts and feelings concerning gay people. It seems she has a pretty open mind,but you'll know for sure,when she answers you.

7. kramer362

I think you've been trying to come out to her, and she's been trying to get you to come out to her.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she knows or at least suspects, and from the sound of it, she'd probably be OK with you coming out to her - it sounds like she's trying to hint to you that she knows and that she wouldn't mind you making it official. If you need any help figuring out how, feel free to PM me or ask here.

9. riddlerno1

It does sound like she probably suspects something. Having never seen Prayers for Bobby i dont know but she may have seen something in there that rang a bell. This may be the oppurtunity to come out as she sounds like she would be very accepting.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "What can you make of this?"
    "Well, I can make a hat, a brooch, a pterodactyl..."

Yeah, I'd say your mom has suspicions. Better yet, she sounds like she's cool with the idea. You don't have to come out to her right away if you'd rather not, but know that she'll be ready for it.

Lex

11. ArcaneVerse

Whether she actually knows your gay or suspects or is totally oblivious isn't really that important because either way she seems to be accepting of gays. If you feel your ready maybe you should use one of her random comments as a conversation stater to come out to her and then you'll find out if she knew all along as well :icon_wink.