1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How necessary is it for me to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by defiant1, Feb 15, 2016.

1. defiant1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm a female and have always been a little curious but I just followed the social norms since I'm more into men anyway. I've recently had an experience with another woman and it was awesome. I would definitely do it again. However, I honestly don't see myself entering a relationship with a woman but who knows what the future holds, I'm only 21. So is it necessary for me to come out to anyone? I never went around telling people I had sex with men, but somehow I feel like I'm living a lie if the people closest to me (family) don't know this.

2. Nobo

It's your choice really

3. Elli

If you are close to your family and feel like it's part of yourself that you're keeping from them, go ahead and tell them.
    If they are liberal and supportive, the better! If you're certain that you're attracted to women, there's nothing wrong with telling your family.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there
    Have you been experimenting with this other woman as a way of finding out who you are? As you said you are mostly attracted to men and want a relationship with men.
    If you are definitely bisexual, remember there is no timescale to coming out, only when you are truly ready.

5. Pacmaneater101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    when you are comfortable.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it necessary? No. Will you feel more relaxed and comfortable if you do? Yes, you probably will.

There are a few things to consider really. You say you do not see yourself in a relationship with a woman, even though you found the "experience" with a woman awesome. Was it more satisfying to you than anything you have done with a guy? If the answer is yes, do you think you would be able to forego the opportunity for intimacy with a woman and content yourself only being with a man in the future? Although relationships are based on far more than sex, we cannot and should not deny the importance and significance of sex in a relationship. If you settle for a relationship with a man (maybe to conform) will there be a part of you that grows increasingly dissatisfied and frustrated over time? How might that affect such a relationship?

You don't need to rush to come out, but it might be a good time to consider what the future holds before making firm plans.

Talk to us some more about it, if you need to.