1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out video on Facebook- advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by robw4, Feb 15, 2016.

1. robw4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone,

I have decided that I am now at the stage in which I am comfortable to come out. I have friends and family who live in different countries and timezones, who I do not get to see regularly. I thought that posting a coming out video on Facebook would be the best way to let everyone know. I have already told my inner family and a few select friends. Has anyone done this before, or anyone willing to give some advice on whether this is a good idea?

Thank you! :icon_bigg

2. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there.
    Well done on deciding to come out. Posting a video may be a good idea but only if you are comfortable doing it. Don't force the issue. I recently came out to my all straight friends via message on Facebook and the support has been overwhelming, so I would recommend FB as an option. I could never tell anyone face to face. My family don't know yet, only my brother as he guessed!
    If you feel your friends and family will be very accepting, go for it!
    Good luck.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have told all of the important people (parents, siblings, close relatives and friends) and they are supportive I see no reason why you shouldn't. It's a brave thing to do, but when people respond with likes and nice comments it can galvanise support and do a lot to boost your confidence. Don't rush to make a decision, but do what feels right for you, when you are ready. Let us know how it goes if you do it. :slight_smile:

4. guitar

I did a similar thing on facebook via letter last year and I'm incredibly glad I did (click the link to see what happened).

I would recommend a few things before you do:
    - I wouldn't try to be negative or dwell on the past too much. Try and make it a happy event whereby you're moving forward and leaving the closet behind
    - Don't get into specifics of past relationships, or even if you have a current boyfriend
    - Script it, or at least have an outline of what you're going to say
    - Don't make it too long. Say what you need to say, and get out. 3-4 mins max would be my recommendation.
    - Lastly, imagine yourself watching this video 5 years from now. What do you want to be proud of looking back on it? This is a big moment.

If you need proofreading or further suggestions, feel free to write me on my wall. Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. robw4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks so much everyone! Really helpful advice. Of course I'll let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Guitar- there isn't a link? Thanks for offering to proofread it :grin: