1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xXGaigXx, Feb 16, 2016.

1. xXGaigXx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have accepted fully that im gay (and proud) but im afraid of what my parents would do if they found out. my dad is quite passively homophobic he says eww if gays kiss and stuff nothing that bad. but i dont know how he would react if it were his own son. he works 1 month on and 1 month off so i think i could tell him in an email or something when he leaves so he has time to accept it. he frequently says he loves me and wishes to have a better relationship with me but only really when he has had too much to drink. my mum and friends i know wonldnt mind but i just need some advice thanks

2. Outboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there
    Well done for accepting who you are. That's the first step. You said your mum and friends would be happy for you, so maybe they would be the ones to tell first, if you genuinely think they will be ok with you being gay. Remember though, only come out when you are actually ready.
    As for your dad, he may not necessarily be homophobic although being uncomfortable watching gay men kiss could be a concern. It maybe he's just not used to seeing it and may come around if he knew your sutuation. Some people tend to be more emotional when they have had a drink, so maybe even if you tell him your gay, he may still love you no matter what.
    If you can't tell him face to face and is away, I would recommend sending email, messaging on facebook or even write a letter the await his response. You might not have anything to worry about.
    Take your time to think things through more clearly and don't rush coming out.
    Good luck!