1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough Situation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xenu, Feb 16, 2016.

1. xenu

I have helped a few people here, so I guess its finally my turn to post something. I planned to be more out than I am now, but have delayed it for various reasons, mostly financial. I have a job and I am more or less self supporting, but the job situation can no longer be relied upon. Honestly, I will probably be let go soon.

I have been there for about two years now. The truth is, this position allowed me to become self supporting after too many years of struggling with disabilities and relying on family. There's a possibility of losing my hard fought progress, and as a result being forced to delay coming out indefinitely.

In addition, I find myself really questioning if coming out is really worth it. I am bit old for the hookup scene, but it seems there aren't too many guys that actually want relationships anyway. For me, the sexual part should just be part of the emotional anyway. I don't want empty relationships with fuck toys. I know that I can form romantic bonds to the opposite sex because I have done it before, though as a practical matter I do tend to get along with guys better, and tend to develop crushes on them after awhile.

Its just alot going on and Im in a tough spot right now. I already see a therapist but need more resources. Its very hard to not feel isolated. I already make it a point to seek out other LGBT people as friends, but have not been able to find many. Thanks for listening.

2. Eye Shine

It is a really tough situation and I can see why you are conflicted. I fully believe that everyone should eventually come out, but at their own pace. However, I would also advocate that it might not be safe for you to do that. If you are having financial troubles and you have to rely on someone who wouldn't support you if you came out. Then it wouldn't be safe to come out.

I feel the best situation for you to come out would be when you are sure you are financially dependent. I do believe that coming out is worth it usually, because it takes some weight off your shoulders, but I wouldn't recommend it here.

Even so, I do believe you should still make a point on trying to find someone you love. Your family doesn't necessarily have to know you are going out on dates or seeing LGBT+ friends.(assuming you are not minor). You can essentially be out to everyone who isn't a possible hazard such as your family or co workers.

So in short I recommend not coming out to your family and co workers. Come out to your friends and future SO. Also don't give up on finding that SO of yours.