1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to people with Autism, Mental Retardation ETC.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lillyrstinnett, Feb 17, 2016.

1. lillyrstinnett

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello. :icon_bigg My name is Lilly and i'm a transwoman from virginia. I currently attend a group of people who make T-Shirts as a work training program for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Most of the staff known I'm Trans but the other clients have no clue. It's started to make me hate that place that I cannot freely share who I really am with people who are so amazing in every single way. Iv'e asked staff but there advice is to stuff it because others might not understand and be upset. In a way I want to respect the other clients intelligence because I do believe they can handle it.

Any Advice?

2. Hiraeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Just explain it in very simple terms.

3. Distant Echo

Hmmm...how do you present when you are there?

4. Mikelhpc228

HI Lilly;
    Yes-here's my advice.

Listen to the other staff-they are right. People w/MR, & autism, are amazing, but many do not have the cognitive skills to understand what you are telling them. They are not fully capable of grasping the concepts of gender fluidity, or shifting orientation, or sexual attraction. It is fine to share your trans gender with coworkers, but I would discourage sharing anything further about your personal life with your clients. You may want to examine why you are hating your workplace for maintaining professional boundaries with the clients you obviously admire and respect.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do you feel urge to come out to the clients?

To be honest with you unless you provide sexual services I don't really see why you being trans is any business to the clients. Your employer is not asking you to hide the fact, right? If it comes up naturally there is no need to hide it but there is certainly zero reason to be proactive about it. As a customer I prefer keeping professional distance to the staff but that' just me.

Also, if you do come out to the clients, don't be upset if they don't respond in a way you like. We had mandatory internship in my school where you had to spend a day with kids with cognitively challenges like autism and retardation. Those kids can say rude things to you and not necessarily mean it. I kind of get the feeling that this is a sensitive topic to you so are you mentally prepared for an adverse response?

#5 Euler, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016