1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NDinosaur, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NDinosaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to my best friend about a year ago. Recently, I've been wanting to come out to my family. However, they're pretty religious and a lot of them are pretty hateful people. Has anyone else gone through something like this and has any advice?

2. NonsenseSpeaker

If you're prepared to tell them then that's fine as long as you got a back up plan. If you are still living with your family then I recommend not to tell them. All I'm saying is if you're family are pretty hateful people as you say they are then you got to imagine the worst and got to think you're going for the worst. I haven't came out to my parents as of yet so I can't tell any advice that may be helpful. Even if I did, I not even sure how religious they are. I'm Catholic and I understand that some people are so religious that they would hurt their child because of it. If you know anyone in your family that supports LGBT that could at least be helpful to at least ask them how to approach the rest of your family. I cannot stop stressing this. Make sure you have a back up plan.

If you have any questions or need advice PM or VM. I'll try to help you as best as I can.

3. NDinosaur

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been thinking about waiting until I finish college and am fully independent before I tell them, it just kinda seems like a long time to continue to hide this for. But yeah, a back up plan does definitely seem important.