1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Coming out to Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Toothpick, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Toothpick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi EC! I am a new member to this site, but I have been browsing its posts for support for a while now. I am a 14 year old gay male. And I am having alot of trouble trying to come out to my parents. More specifically how exactly I would go about doing so. I know that coming out is what I want to do, and I have told 2 very supportive friends about my feelings. But I want to tell my parents before I come out to anyone else, so that way they find out from me, instead of any outside source.

My parents are fully supportive of the LGBT community. For example, during "the talk" when I was 12 my father stated towards the beginning of the conversation "when you meet a women you love... or a man if that is what you want." But despite their feelings towards people of that nature. I still can get myself to say anything to them whether it be face to face, letters, emails. I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas or maybe some way to strengthen my courage. My goal is to be able to tell them face to face, with an honest upfront approach. I think doing that would allow them to respect my feelings more.

I am also worried about what my family outside of my household would think about this. I am the only person I know off that is anything but heterosexual. And quite a bit of my family members are priests. And the last thing that I would want to do is attract unwanted hate from my relatives towards my parents for "raising me wrong". I love my parents and I would hate it if my feelings caused them harm. Thank you all.

2. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Hi toothpick...13 year old trans girl (mtf). My parents encouraged us to talk, dad lost a cousin who was gay, so I was the second (mtf) to come out in my family. Liz (my sibling) was the first.
    I would just tell my family that you have something important to talk to them. If you have any brothers and sisters they should be around, too. Just tell them how you feel. If you have a bf have him with you.
    That's about the only advice I have.

:kiss: <---- me and my boyfriend.