1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sky Sharp, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Sky Sharp

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've recently realized (well, more like accepted) that I am pansexual.
    I'm not sure how to come out to my loved ones about it.

I'm mainly worried about 2 people, my female roommate and my best friend (female). My roommate believes that people only like one gender and that being bi/pan is just a phase.

My best friend is straight, I've had to bottle up feelings for her in the past and I'm afraid if I come out to her, she'll be uncomfortable. Plus her dad is SUPER homophobic, so I doubt he'd even let me near her if he found out.

Any advice?
    I just want to be open with those around me, it sucks hiding a part of myself.

-Sky

2. Eye Shine

I'm sure most of your loved ones will be pretty accepting of it. Canada is pretty accepting of LGBT+ rights in general. So from what you have said I don't see any predicaments with your immediate family.

In regards to the specifics, I believe you're roommate will just need a bit of references to convince her. Most LGBT+ individuals are accepting in my experience when they are introduced to open mindedness. I believe you should come out to her and you should say something along the lines of "I know you don't believe that someone can love multiples gender but I do. I respect you and I want you to respect my feelings on this matter. We're all queer after all!"

With your best friend I also believe you should just go for it. I know it may seem scary but she is your BEST friend. You've been through the thick and thin together and if she ditches her BEST friend over your sexuality then I don't think she is worth keeping as a friend in all honesty. In regards to her father. I believe that if she is completely cool with your sexuality which she should be. She won't bother telling her dad if you ask her not to.

You'd be surprised at what positive reactions one could receive, but sometimes there can be hiccups.

Anyway I hope I helped a bit and feel free to post on my wall if you want to talk.