1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dapat, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Dapat

Dapat Guest

Okay, some of you may recognise me from previous threads of mine, where i've asked for advice. I hope this is appropriate because rather than asking for advice, this time i'm just going to say what happened in hopes of (maybe) encouraging someone else.

I planned for me and my 2 best friends to go to the cinemas. While planning, I told them I had "Something to tell them on the day". Obviously, they didn't forget.
    One of them kept bringing it up, before they said "You're coming out as trans?" in a sarcastic way, since one of our other friends recently came out as bi, he was just joking around. (I found it funny, considering he was on the right track, but not quite there)

After watching the movie, I sat them both down and said "You know how you said jokingly that i'm coming out as trans? Well... I'm not. But I am gay."
    One of them was completely surprised while the other already knew. Neither cared too much and they were very accepting. One of them said that they "100%'ed life" because they have a friend of every universally known orientation. We talked some more afterwards, and they're both my best friends still :grin: They even hugged me goodbye at the end of the day.

Since I had tried to come out many times before that and failed due to anxiety and stuff, I actually found that it helped a TON to have THEM bring up the conversation instead of myself. If I hadn't told them when planning that i'd be telling them something, and to have them start the conversation, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it.

As soon as I started talking, it felt like all fear just left my body and I was just automatically saying what I wanted to. After I finished talking, I was surprised I was able to say anything, and I didn't even stutter (I'm known to have a problem with stuttering).

If you can't be bothered reading the above, then i'll just list a little advice for anyone who may need it.
    1. For those who have trouble, due to nervousness or a variety of other reasons, find ways for others to begin the conversation instead.
    2. Don't take shock or surprise as a negative.
    3. It's often good to reassure them that you're still the same person you've always been, though they just now know something extra.
    Not sure if that advice is useful at all...

But the responses I got on past threads helped be a fair bit. Thank you everyone.
    Love ya all. (*hug*)

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! I'm really happy it went well and they seem to be really accepting and okay with it. (*hug*) And I understand about the being really nervous part (me too, when I had direct conversations with my friends about my sexuality), I'm really glad it all went smoothly for you!

3. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!
    It's great that it went so well and your friends seem to be really accepting :slight_smile:

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aww that so awesome! :grin:
    I love hearing good stories! Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well!

You're advice is good too, don't worry about it. :slight_smile:

5. Ouroboros

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! Be proud of yourself.

6. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations!!! You did something that is hard for some people to do. I shall adhere to your advice and hopefully, I will come out to someone other than my cat.

7. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Congratulations...:thumbsup: Was it hard to tell friends?

8. Dapat

Dapat Guest

Yeah, I tried many times.
    When I did, It was like I was outside of myself.

9. Innsanchez

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, another Rainbow flower freely Blooms :slight_smile:

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: