1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad timing for coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blueberry27, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Blueberry27

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, so a lot of stressful things have been going on the past couple weeks. I just got out of the hospital for suicidal behaviors almost two weeks ago. I just broke up with some awful friends. And I am about to transfer to a new school. At this school, they are very open minded. They have a whole bunch of clubs for lgbt support. I am starting Monday, and I am thinking I should come out (as bi) before I go to this school. But, I am afraid that if I come out while in school, that my parents might think I just wanted to fit in with the majority of the other students who are LGBT. But, I don't know if this is bad timing since I only have two days before I start. And with all the big things that just happened, I am scared I might stress them out too much. I'm not too worried that they will take it badly, my mom is very supportive, has many friends who are gay and transgender. My dad isn't as supportive as her, but he is not homophobic either (at least he doesn't show that he is).

Also my parents are divorced, and I live mostly with my mom. I am with her now and for the next couple days. So I don't know how it would work out, because ideally I would want to tell them both at the same time.

2. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, it's good that you're actually wanting to come out to your parents.
    Seeing as you've recently gotten out of hospital and starting at a new school, it's only natural if your mum is a little stressed, if you're worried about putting too much stress on your parents you could always delay telling them for a week or so but in saying that, if you think she'll be supportive and okay with it she probably won't get stressed about you telling her, as for your dad he probably won't be stressed either, as you said, he isn't homophobic that you know of so he should be fine with it.
    If you're worried about your parents thinking you're just telling them you're bi to fit in to your new school, you could just say something like, you've been thinking how open minded your new school is and you felt more comfortable to tell them and felt like it was the right time.
    And as for telling your parents at the same time, do they still see/talk to each other? I only ask because if they do it will be a lot easier to get them together but if they don't want to see each other it will be harder to get them together and they might be a little tense having to be in the same room, and when you tell them might have a slightly different reaction because their tense, again that being said it could be the complete opposite and they'll be there with open arms and super supportive.
    Goodluck :slight_smile:

3. Innsanchez

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    theres no doubt that you can actually do it, as of your story there's a bunch of LGBT clubs in that school maybe by them you can earn a lot of motivation to confess, but the real motivation to do it will be coming from you. Best of luck, keep blossoming :slight_smile: