1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any of y'all feel the same about who to come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sleeping Owl, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I'm sure this is an issue a lot of you guys feel similarly about.

Basically, it's always easier to come out to someone who's not as close to you for various reasons, one of those being that the reaction if negative won't hurt as much, and another being that they don't know you as well so it won't seem like a betrayal from their perspective.

I want to get this out of the way and move on, and work towards accepting myself in whole instead of denying something so central to my being. I don't want to be keeping secrets. For this reason, it would be simpler and more efficient to come out to the other gay guys in my family... however, I feel like I owe it to my immediate family to tell them first; not only are we very close but my brother is my best friend and roommate.

So, anyone have any advice about this? Sorry that this is so general, I guess I'm just scouting out your general feelings about it.

2. NonsenseSpeaker

Yes, I agree. Sometimes it's harder to tell someone who's close to you, but if they have a positive reaction then it could be very beneficial. If you know that your brother will have a positive reaction then go for it. Just do it if you feel ready. Maybe your brother could help you to come out to the rest of your family.

3. Sleeping Owl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is, I know it'd be easier for me to come out to my gay relatives and it'd be weird and hard for me to come out to my brother. I know he supports gays and all but it's one thing to be okay with it on a moral level but another to be comfortable thinking about your brother doing things and with not telling him for so long.

It was basically should I make this about me, or about them? Obviously at the end of the day it is about me but I don't want to make him feel like I couldn't trust him or I had any doubt about telling him first or whatever.

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think there isn't really a problem telling your other relatives first. This is about you and it takes some time. I don't think it would do any harm not telling you're immediate family first. Sometimes you have to tell others first to fully feel comfortable about telling the people you truly love. Sometimes you have to talk to others before you're family. I don't know you're relationship with you're family, but if you all have a positive relationship and you know how you're family is towards the LGBT community, then when ready try and talk to you're brother.