1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to come out - how do I start that conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MayaBee, Feb 21, 2016.

1. MayaBee

I'm sure some people have asked this before, so I am sorry for asking "again".
    I am ready to come out. I'm not sure what I am yet (I think bisexual but something inside me keeps screaming I am a lesbian), but J feel like I am confident enough to tell everybody. Sure I first want to tell close people, from which I have mastered 3 yet and after telling 2 more close friends and my family I think I will just tell everybody else that I have met someone(which is true) and when they ask what his name is, I will just correct them by saying it's a she.

So, since I have mastered 3 friends I shouldn't be asking this question, but it was very easy with those three, since we all talk about LGBT+ alot (one of them considers herself pansexual), but now especially for my close friend of 8 years and my family, I don't know how to do it, because we barely talk about LGBT+ or they just keep quiet during those conversations (they all are LGBT+ friendly thoigh). Since I don't want to make a big deal out of it (I actually would like to do it like with everybody not-close to me by just telling I met a girl, but I know of these last people that there will be questions, and I just want this to be personal, but not dramatic), I don't know how to start. Sure, bringing something LGBT+ related up would be an idea, but I just don't feel good about that one (especially because some people go quit during those conversations).

So, I would be really really thankful for any suggestions on how to start that conversation without being too drmatic, but still being sensitiv (not just screaming it out haha) (I searched through the whole internet, but I feel like they all make kind of a big deal out of it/exspect bad reactions).

2. MayaBee

Nobody has an idea? Well... Thanks anyways...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey MayaBee,

It is both simple and difficult, but here's the scoop.

Say it in the first sentence, no preambles, no sugar-coating, no reference to LGBT+ issues, just look them in the eye and say the words in the first sentence. If you have a hard time with the word because it is too much of a label, state what you are doing, i.e. you are now open to dating girls.

Once the shock is over, you can have all the discussion you want about how long it took and how you see this happening in the long term.

Best of luck! :slight_smile: