1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 through 15 y/o's: how did come out to your family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ryu, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Just wondering since I've noticed younger people here out to there family, and a I wanna find out how you did it and how it went.

2. MayaBee

I can't help you with that,I am sorry, I am posting to save this thread because I am in the same position ._.

3. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

My sister told our parents that she IS a girl, so mom and dad supported her, so I decided to tell my mom and dad that I want to support Liz, so they said fine, so I got comfortable being in girls clothes. I told them, so they hugged me and said enjoy being a girl.

4. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I never really came out to them formally, and I haven't told them that I'm sure I'm queer. I just told them that I had a crush on a girl one day and they took it okay, but I'm worried that they still think it's 'just a phase'.

5. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote a letter with everything I wanted to say. I analysed and edited every word over about 6 months. I told my mom I was gay and handed her the letter and that these were all my words and what I have to say.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I was 19, but I did it in a simple way.

Firstly, i told my sister. I knew she would be ok with it. We were alone at home, and i told her i had kissed for the first time a few days ago. She said "cool, how was it?", and we chatted a bit, until i casually said: "by the way, the name of the person is Felipe". After a few seconds processing the information, she asked a few questions, and that was it. I asked her to keep it in secret for the time being.

As for my mom, i didn't knew how she would react. So i just decided to ask her if we could talk about something, i sat down with her and told her i started thinking about myself a few months ago, and i concluded i was bisexual. She was confused at first, but didn't give me any major trouble (and that was good, since i stopped playing Assassin's Creed Revelations to have "the talk").

Anyway, you should check our sub-forum "Coming Out Stories". There are lots of stories there, and they may give you some ideas (if you are looking for that).

7. trebella

Out Status:
    A few people
    First I told my brother, when I was 14, and he was a little uncertain at first, but we had a really long conversation about crushes, since I had had my first on a girl. Then, a year later, I told my dad I thought I would date both boys and girls. He was totally cool and said he hoped I wouldn't stress about that too much. Then my mom. She lowkey freaked out and told me not to tell anyone at school because everything would be different. However, she's changed her mind now. I say tell anyone you feel safe about telling!

8. Victory

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I came out as bisexual last year to my mom and my sister, so I was 15 at the time. I told my mom over Facebook by sending here a Christmas wishlist with a bunch of pride related items on it. I don't recommend doing it over Facebook, because sitting there waiting for a reply is just awful. As for my sister she pretty much just asked me jokingly and freaked out when I told her.

9. gillisland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I've only come out to my mom, but for that I didn't really plan it. That night I just got this gut feeling that I would do it, and I did. I just talked to her about and she was okay with it.

10. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. David21201

My mom actually found out when I was seeing another girl. I literally on the way to school was like "I'm pansexual" and left it at that. I, however, have yet to come out with my gender

12. Allweretaken

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me being me I hate confrontation, and I an a generally shy person when I'm not with my friends. I couldn't bring myself to tell everybody face to face, so after telling one or two people face to face that I know I can trust to keep my secret until I fully came out, I posted my sexuality on fb. Telling my family however was a bit different, and I felt it should be a bit more personal. But again I did not like confrontation so I wrote a letter telling them about my sexuality. I had a personal part of the letter addressed to each one of them. I had left for the day (the day j gave them the letter) to give them time to think it over, and to give myself time to play out what might and what might not happened. In the end it turned out pretty decently.

13. ScarlettS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out when I was 14. My bestfriend (who is also gay) and I wrote, "dear Mothers, we're gay" on a rainbow cake we made, and then gave it to them. I emailed my father because I wasn't sure how he'd react, and I thought it might be awkward. Both of my parents had positive reactions :slight_smile:

14. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote an email, then continued to bring it up face-to-face to explain a bit more.

15. Bella B

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "hey mom"
    "yeah honey?"
    "im gay. i like girls."
    "get out right now"
    :frowning2:

16. Blueberry27

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got really lucky with coming out, I didn't have to really. My mom initiated the conversation.

My mom was asking me about this person at my school that I had a crush on(they are genderqueer). She asked me if they were a boy or a girl and I told her that they were born as a girl but are different now. And we just had a discussion about it and I told her everything. She didn't really care, and said she knew I was gay already. I told her that I'm bi and she said she thinks I'm just a lesbian, but that's the only bad part about it. My dad still doesn't know yet, I think I'm just going to ask my mom to tell him lol.

17. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Bella, your mom told you to get out? I wonder why parents (some) would kicked their kids out for being gay, lesbian, transgendered or whatever. My dad lost a cousin because his parents (his aunt and uncle) refused to realize their son was gay.

Blueberry, I bet your dad knows if your mom and dad are married.

18. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just walked up to my mom and said "Mom there's something I think you should know. Nothing major but.... I'm bisexual." She accepted it and said "at least if you start dating a girl we don't have to worry about early pregnancies" :lol:

To my dad I came out so that we were just talking about school. He asked me about one of my friends who I had earlier been super close to. I started crying. He asked me what's wrong and I told him that I was really sad because I had a crush on her and we weren't even friends anymore. He seemed accepting but said it could just be a phase. Which is kinda hypocritical of him because my stepmom was in a gay relationship for 20years before getting together with my dad.... And she has a kid with her ex girlfriend.

And I came out to my mom when I was 13 and to my dad when I was 14.

#18 Gentlady, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  19. kalineo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    for my sexuality, i was kinda outed and cried about it to them in the evening. for my gender, i wrote a long email about how i had been feeling to my dad and he passed it on to my mum.

20. melen

melen Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out as bi when I was 13, and told my mom I was exploring my gender at 14. It went pretty well. With the bisexual thing I was like "Oh yeah I'm probably bisexual" offhandedly, which resulted in a long lecture about sexuality but other than that it went well. With the gender stuff, I asked my mom for a binder. She asked why. I explained. Etc.
    So, yeah, that's how I did it.