1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't go as planned

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsbrooklyn, Feb 21, 2016.

1. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my mum today and the text messages she sent me were all nice but now all she's doing is yelling and screaming saying "how do you know you're gay, what makes you think you are" she keeps saying it's only a phase and when I tell her it's not a phase and I just know I'm not straight she won't take it as an answer, I feel like tellin her was a really bad idea, I understand that she might need some time to process things but I didn't think she would be like this about it and now I have no idea what to do. All I feel like doing is crying.

2. MaximusMike

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The come back I used against my parents when they asked me how I knew I was bi was "how did you know you were straight?". As for it being a phase, the same could be said about being straight. It's just because being straight is the norm, they don't consider that the same could be said of being straight as they say about being gay, bi or any other sexuality.
    Over time, things should improve, but perhaps don't expect too much. Give them space and time, they'll probably say some insensitive things, but you've got to learn to educate them, not get too angry with them.
    Good luck, I hope it all goes well in the future!

3. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *hands you a tissue*
    She is just moving through the 7 stages of grief, the first stage is denial, the last stage is acceptance.
    You may honestly just have to give it time. I know that is tough but it wont last forever. My second piece of advice is really going to sound stupid but I heard someone suggest it on another post. Act gay. Buy rainbow pins, go see a movie with gay subject matter, say you watch The L Word or Orange Is The New Black (idk what shows you have in Australia) or do something small like that to make it known that you are serious. I have recently been doing the same.