1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by limfjord96, Feb 11, 2009.

1. limfjord96

Holy shit,

I just sent the first emai explaining my new found sense of sexuality, or complete confusion of, to one of my best friends, who is probably the reason for all the confusion (damn that sexy grin), and I am freakin out. I literally just sent it like five seconds ago, and im shaking and feel like throwing up. and starts the hyperventellation. I dont know what i expect from this post, but i am really just hoping someone says something that makes me feel less like i just got kicked in the balls by an ox. seriously bugging.:icon_redf

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya! You did a courageous thing! That's awesome! :slight_smile:

It is going to be difficult but try to relax. You did what you needed to do, what you felt is right. I am sure you have thought about it a couple of times before sending that e-mail.

Ask your self: "why did I pick that friend over all others?" Is it maybe because you trust that friend? Is it because he is your best friend? Is it because you know that he will be accepting?

You have picked that particular friend for a reason. I'm sure it is going to be fine. You did something for the first time and yes it can bring on quite a bit of nervousness. But again try to relax.

Congratulations!

3. limfjord96

ahh, i picked him because yeah he was the closest friend i have ever had, but we sort of drifted, well he did. I also did it because as i said, i think was the first guy i ever truly loved, sort of a hidden agenda( guilty smile)...dont worry though i didnt say anything like that because i have been told it can scare people off. i do feel a little better, but everytime i get an email alert my heart skips a beat. and my stomach is in huge huge knots....thats it, im getting a drink.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! As Asteroid said, you've done something really brave. And the feeling of physical fear is absolutely normal, don't worry (*hug*) The first step is usually the hardest to take, so it's awesome that you've taken it!

5. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Congrats Dude! It honestly takes a huge amount of courage. I wish all the best, and again, if you need anything, just talk to us.

6. EM68

Congrats! You took a huge step. Give yourself a pat on the back and take a deep breath! Obviously you can trust him this is a huge step in your journey. This potentially will bring you closer to him. Good luck! and keep us posted! (*hug*)

I came out to a friend 2 weeks a go by email. I felt sick to my stomach after I sent it. It turned out fine. It took me almost an hour to send it after I composed it.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll be surprised how often you end up getting what I've started calling "the pear response".

When my sister was very young - kindergarten or first grade - she came home from school really upset about something. We asked her what the problem was, and she finally burst out crying. "I can't tell you," she said. "It's too horrible." For several minutes, we tried to calm her down so we could get the story, but each time she tried, she'd lose it again. Our minds all started thinking of the most horrible things that could have happened to her at school. Finally, though, she managed to tell us the awful truth.

It seems a couple weeks previous, she had brought a pear to school as part of her lunch. She ended up not being hungry enough to eat it, so she put it in her "cubby" at the front of the classroom, in anticipation of eating it the next day. But then she put something in front of it, and she forgot it was there. Then, a couple weeks later, she had rediscovered the pear. It had gone black and soft, and started smelling a bit. She was so disgusted by it, she couldn't bring herself to throw it away. And so she came home crying.

Really. That was it. Her pear went bad.

Since our sexuality is such an integral part of our lives, we tend to think of it as a huge deal. But the sexuality of other people - unless we're interested in them that way - tends to be of little or no import at all. So when we finally do work up the nerve to tell people - "oh my God, I have something really important to tell you" - it's not at all uncommon to get the pear response. "Really? That's it?" Hopefully, the friends will feel happy for you, and express support, but honestly? Not that big a deal. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Hmm. . .that sounds like it would make the central theme of a Youtube coming out movie. . .hmm. . .

9. RaRa

Trust me, I felt the exact same way when I sent a coming out E-mail to my mom. At school the next day I was so nervous and freaking out.

I texted her asking if she read it, and she said yes and she still loved me the same. When we went home we talked. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't all pony's and rainbows, but it went ok.

I think you did the right thing, and I hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

10. TheRoof

good luck

11. Mickey

Coming out is always hard,especially when your not sure how someone will react.
    I think it takes huge amounts of courage.
    Just relax and try to think of it as a positive thing. You did it! And,for that I congratulate you.

12. riddlerno1

That was a really brave thing to do. I agree with Lex's pear response cos exactly the same thing happened to me. I built it up so much that when i said it my mates were like 'what is that it cos i thought you were gonna say something awful'! Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

13. limfjord96

ok so here is his response, overall i think it was positive.

"Hello . It is nice to hear from you and always good to hear that someone is getting to know themselves better especially such a good friend. It is true that we have been very distant since college. As you know, I separated myself from all you guys as I did from most everyone in my life; for I came to see that I had never known myself at all and so being around anyone else who they thought they did was inhibiting and caused great discomfort. I have come to see life as a very fickle thing where nothing is so well defined as straight, bi-sexual or gay. I feel most people; especially most "gay" people would disagree with me; but it is my perspective. We develop social skills and comforts with relating in different ways with different genders and so we define ourselves thus but I feel that anyone, given the right intent, could "change sides" as it is called. Regardless, however, of what one comes to believe, what I feel is most important is being comfortable with oneself. I am not always socially comfortable for I have a very cynical view of other people; but I am working on that. I have decided that in this life I will only have hetero-sexual relationships. I do, however, feel comfortable having very close relationships with men, but never to the point of physical or sexual intimacy. It just doesn't feel right for me. It may, however, at some point feel right to you. I could not say. I feel that what is most important in this venture for you and also for me in my own learning process is just to gain a sense of comfort and confidence.... just to be our most natural self in any situation.

I wouldn't dare tell you how to think or feel; for that is for you alone to decipher. For myself though, being resolved of sexual orientation is a distant second to just feeling well on a day to day basis. But I can see how absolving the issue could aide greatly in that process.

I wish you well in your journey to discover peace and resolve.

Please write if you ever wish..."

so i think i feel a little better, but when i got the alert that i had an email on my phone i started shaking and it was crazy, but then i read it and my heart settled a bit. any interpretations on this response?

14. curiousdude

I think you've struck a chord. It sounds to me like he's been really struggling himself.

15. EM68

It sounds like he may be going through similar struggles like you. When you get more comfortable with everything you may want to talk to him face to face. It may be helpful for both of you to know your not alone in this. Good luck.

#15 EM68, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  16. limfjord96

i would love to talk to him face to face. He lives in AZ though. i used to love just sitting and talking with him, i have never had a relationship (guy girl friend foe) any relationship where i connected so much with some one on beliefs, philosophy etc, so we'll see. I wrote him back saying i will always email him because he is my best friend ever, etc, so we'll see.

17. EM68

That's cool. At least now you both have someone you can talk to (along with us) :slight_smile:

18. limfjord96

it will be interesting to see how more in touch we keep. Before i did all the effort, as he said he tried to distance himself from me and everyone...i just wish he would have given me the bennefit of the doubt, but i really do hope that he talks to me more now, i miss the hell out of him. ya know?

19. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think he might be one of those people that might be mostly straight and a little gay, but choose to not engage their gay part of their sexuality. I agree, seems like he's struggling himself, but at least it does seem that he's accepting. :slight_smile: good to have support.

20. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

Hey. Yeah the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when i came out for the very first time to a friend. We went out for a few drinks, but i couldn't start the conversation. When we went home, I started instant messaging him. I really needed to get it out cause I felt like I was gonna explode, so I told him over IM. I was shaking so bad I couldn't type and felt so nauseous(?). I kind of cheated cause i knew his good friend is gay, so i knew I could talk to him about it. But still had such a hard time with it. And still do.

It was definitely a great thing for you to let that off your chest. I bet it felt good (other than the anticipation of a reply lol). He does seem like he's having a struggle of his own. But you reaching out to him might be good for the both of you because now you both have someone close to talk to. Very good.

Lex, I love the pear response too.

-LINJ