1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Tell My Brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BitterEdge, Feb 12, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

So as I have grown more accepting who I am and telling all my best friends and a few liberal cousins I have decided I want to include my brother in my life. We weren't close as children and often fought intensely, but when I went away to college we both sort of bonded. We can actually do things together I never thought I would and I would be lying if I didn't say I consider him a good friend.

His politics are moderate, voting Republican a good deal of the time and offend defends various gay rights from attacks from my parents (many thing my brother is asexual)- I don't label nor do I care. It's hard because he is my brother of 21 years and he is now 25 getting situated into life.

I know I can't tell him face to face as I might want nor can I talk to him on the phone because I'd choke. I want to send him an email (he is very tech savvy and spends his life on the computer). Any recommendations to how I should go about writing this. I want it sent tomorrow.

2. EM68

I would tell it from the heart. Just let him know that you have been struggling with your sexuality for a while and now you know who you are.Let him know that you are in a good spot right now,are very happy and you wanted to be open and share this part of your life with him.

Right now I am in a similar situation. I do not know how or when to come out to my twin brother. I am more comfortable in coming out to my parents. Good luck! Let us know what happens!

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is what I have penned, I want to send it tomorrow sometime. please let me know what you think.

Brother,

While this is hard to say and not exactly how I wanted to say it I feel obligated to include you in on a few things since you are my brother. You have been there for me my whole life and in recent years I have become happy to consider you more than just a brother than a friend. And so I would like to include you in the greater aspect of my life. Things have always been a struggle for me as you know and somewhat difficult for me possible as a result of our upbringing, non the less, there are some things that should not have to be. For some time now, I have known that I was indeed bisexual. Being in college helped me accept certain facts about such and coming from the family as we have, it has not been easy for me to accept. Many of my closets friends and a few of our cousins known, but have wanted to tell you much earlier. I know this may or may not come as a shock. I hope to be more open with you on such matters in the future and bring you full circle into my life.

You have no idea what it has meant to me for what you have been doing for me in recent year. I hope you can accept this and will at this time keep this from any of our other family members including Mom and Dad.

With love and a minor bit of frustration,

-BitterEdge

4. EM68

Its a good letter. The only thing I would change is With love and a minor bit of frustration.Its there a particular reason you are frustrated? I would just say With love.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.