1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me figure this out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lukee, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Lukee

Hey. I'm new here. My name is Luke & I'm 15 in April. I'm 100% sure i'm gay & have known this since I was just turning 11. I've been wanting to 'come out' for about 2 years now. I remember my parents saying that they don't mind if i'm gay about 6 years ago, but since then i've overheard my mum talking with friends about how she think's what men do together is disgusting & she thinks two women is better. Plus, my grandparents aren't that keen on gay people (I think), as I found out whilst we were watching shawn shank redemption last year and my grandfather exclaimed "Look at that raging poofter!" followed by some laughter. But my biggest probolem is that I have no brothers or sisters. I feel that this is bad because I think my parents would like grandchildren. I have no probolem about coming out to everyone at school but my parents see my school friends out sometimes & I can't swear everyone to secrecy and someone is bound to tell at some point.
    Can someone think of a way to help me deal with this situation?
    Thanks, -Luke xx

2. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just tell them yourself, before they find out some other way. It does appear that your mom already knows though, or at least definitely suspects, by now (you say that was 6 years ago) I'm sure she'll have wrapped her head around it. It sounds like, even though she may think the sex is gross, she doesn't mind the being gay bit.
    Adoption is always an option, they don't have to go without grandkids, though, if you don't want kids (adopted or otherwise) then they have no choice really.
    I'm sure someone else will post, saying what I was trying to here in a much better way...
    good luck!

3. Lukee

Thanks! I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that they suspect anything. Like, I have quite a few girl best friends. To name a few that they know of (because i'm constantly texting them), Emma, Leanne, Ellena, Rachel, Suzanne, ect. And my dad is always asking "How's Ellena?" And i'm like "We've been through this, I'm not going out with her". Then it'll be "How's.." and then "I don't have a girlfriend!!". Once he asked "You're not gay, are you?" and I just laughed and asked "What's on T.V?". But i'm constantly telling them how I don't have a girlfriend. And i want them to work it out, I purposley spent half an hour trying to put my hair right thismorning for my dad to realise. I asked "notice anything different?" and he said "want a cup of tea?". Which actually quite annoyed me.

And as for the kids, I don't think I would adopt if I ever found a guy I want to spend my life with. Unless He really wanted to. Just like I don't feel I ever want to get married. I don't believe in bringing the law into a relationship.

4. xequar

Several points...

First, grandparents are the last people you need to worry about when you're coming out. There's a lot of friends and family and all that before the grandparents on the list.

Next, it sounds like your parents are supportive, or at least suspicious. But, they won't be certain until you come out. You mentioned you're an only child and that your parents want grandkids. I also am an only child, and trust me, the earlier you come out, the better. I didn't come out until I was 25, and by then, my mom had constructed all of these fantasies about grandkids and a wedding and all sorts of thing. When I finally came out, even though she had known I was gay since I was 12, it was still a tough pill for her to swallow, and it took her a long time to overcome the fantasies she had constructed.

Honestly, I think coming out now will save you a lot of grief versus if you came out later in life like I did. You're at an age where you're still constructing your life and figuring out who you are, and living openly and integrating your sexuality into the rest of your being will be far easier now than if you wait.

And, unless you've ruled out kids, there are still options, like adoption or having a surrogate parent.

Best of luck!

5. Lukee

Hmm, Yes, I understand with the grandparents. I'm just really confused about how to come out. I don't want to upset anyone. I already get people suspecting i'm gay at school, but I try my hardest not to act 'stereotypically gay'.
    And how did your mum 'know' that you were gay when you were 12?

6. xequar

I honestly don't know how she knew. Mothers have a sort of ESP when it comes to their children. Interestingly enough, though, my friends remarked that after I came out, I gained a personality, that before I had been basically "guy stereotype." Given that mothers know their children better than anyone else, I'm sure that type of thing, multiplied, is a factor in how my mom knew.

As to how to come out, well, the first time is always the hardest. Find someone you really trust, a very close friend, or your parents if you're really close with them. Find a moment when you can talk and let them know that you have something you need to talk about. Once you set the stage, it makes it a lot harder to chicken out. Then, just tell them. Be willing to answer any questions they might have, and be honest and yourself.

As you come out to people, it gets easier and easier. The thing of it is that you can't worry about upsetting people. Consider this-the life you're living right now is false, a lie. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. You're not bringing all of yourself to the table, and that's a deception. When you come out, you'll finally reveal the rest of yourself, that kitty of $500 bills you've been hiding under the Monopoly board. The relationships you have right now are at least in part false.

Having said that, consider this also. If your friends can't accept you for who you REALLY are, a gay person that has whatever interests you have and live in whatever place you live and goes to whatever school to which you go, then they aren't really your friends. If they stick with you for the REAL you instead of the false you, then they're true friends. If they don't, then they're not.

You can't quite divorce yourself from your parents and grandparents in the same manner, but certain elements still hold true. The relationships you have with them are false, and trying to preserve the false version will only cause you issues. Like I said, it'll give your parents cause to construct fantasy visions of your future. It will force you to either leave a boyfriend/husband/partner behind for family Christmas, or you'll have to try passing him off as a "roommate" or "friend," and all that during those times when you're supposed to be celebrating family.

I know it's not exactly as easy as it sounds from that side of the closet door. I mean, I didn't come out until I was 25 and a several-year bout with Christian brainwashing. That's why I'm saying what I'm saying. If you can dodge all that and be you right up front, you'll save yourself a lot of needless grief and pain. (*hug*)

7. Lukee

Please, be as harsh as you want, I never take something personally (unless it's meant to be), because I know this is all advice. Coming out to my friends is no probolem for me. I could shout it out to the whole school and I wouldn't care. But it's just the family. I understand where you're coming from. I know my parents won't care if I'm gay but I don't want to dissapoint them. I had thought about coming out when I was about 18 and old enough to support myself or get away from home if I felt awkward, but 4 years living a lie has been hard enough, but another 3 or MORE years? I can't deal with that!

And my granddad isn't religious, (I think my grandmother isn't) and KNOW my parents aren't, so I won't get bombarded with the whole 'curing' escapade.

And I just realised, my parents could find this website on my history. Aha, that would make it a lot easier on me! :lol:

8. xequar

The thing is, though, that it's gonna come up at some point. You said yourself that you can't deal with more time in the closet. Either you're going to have to hide a significant other from your parents and hope no rumors circulate and all that, or you're going to have to have a conversation with them and come out. Sure, they might be disappointed, but they might not be. Either way, they'll have to deal with that in their own way. That's not within your control.

Also, keep things under your control. You keeping control of how you come out is much more preferable to your parents hearing a rumor from someone who heard it from someone else. It sounds to me like at this point you're ready to go and you just need a bit of a confirming push. Whatever you do, I hope it goes well for you. (*hug*)

9. tallship

sound advice from everyone i can't add anything worthwhile ,considering my history lol
    take care :thumbsup:

10. Lukee

Thanks. My mum just walked into the room and I had my laptop turned to her on the forum and she didn't even notice. Darn.
    Anyway, If I did get a boyfriend, I wouldn't be able to hide it because it wouldn't be fair on him.

If I did come out, I wouldn't be able to have a coversation. I would with my friends, but not with my parents. As you said, I'm as ready as ever to come out, I suppose i'm going to have to tell a friend soon and be forced to tell. [x

Thanks for all of your advice & help, but I'm still too.. i'm not sure, the word isn't shy, but I just can't bring mysel to tell them?

11. Peter

Your mother knows, she might not be wanting to accept it for now, but she knows. Be honest with her, but don't stick to labels. I think you should tell something along the lines of "I think I might be gay" rather than blurting out that you are 100% sure of anything. You will be surprised how much is going to change in the coming four or five years. As for your grandparents and others, it's none of their business, is it? I believe you need to be honest with those who are closest to you: that is the basis for a good and open relationship. For now, that means your parents (yes they are closest to you even if you prefer the company of friends at times). The rest of the world needs to know only if they need to know. Your sexuality is nothing to do with your grandparents. However, it would be nice to be able to tell your parents, after the fact, that you were really upset at something your grandparents said... It's nice to be able to talk to someone at times like that.(*hug*)

12. riddlerno1

There is no rush to tell your parents. You will know when you are ready to do so. I havent told my parents or family either, but im guessing when the moment feels right it will happen. Right now cant see it ever happening but hope one day!

#12 riddlerno1, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  13. Lukee

Thanks, Peter. I know what you mean by those closest to you. But here I agree with Riddlerno, I would rather wait until the moment is right?

I'm not sure what I should do at the moment, but I think your right in saying I shouldn't start ranting about how i'm 100% gay or anything.

14. xequar

Just say you're questioning, and that the only thing you're certain of right now is that you're not 100 percent straight. That'll cover all the bases.

As far as waiting until the moment is right, well, the moment is right when YOU feel the moment is right, not a moment before and not a moment after. When you said that you're "not shy, but can't bring yourself to tell them," let's be honest. Coming out for the first time is really hard, and it takes a bit of doing to work up the courage. Maybe you just haven't hit that "critical mass" where you HAVE to come out for your own sanity yet. Maybe you just haven't found the right moment yet. Whatever the case, we both know you're ready to go for it, so when you find that right moment, use it. (*hug*)

15. Lukee

I'm near to sanity with it, I give it another month, tops. Then I'll just burst and i'll just do something stupid to show it :lol:

But I know as soon as the right moment comes, there is NO way that i'm going to blow it! :grin:

16. riddlerno1

17. Lukee

-eek
    Thanks for all of the support.
    I feel really comfortable.