1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as nonbinary?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RocketRacoon, Feb 23, 2016.

1. RocketRacoon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I'm pretty sure I'm nonbinary and I want to ask friends (and possibly family) to help me figure out my gender and possibly change my name. The thing is, I don't really know how to come out to people when I don't know myself how I identify. I'm also really uncomfortable sharing personal stuff, even around my closest friends. Do you think I should approach my friends/family for help, and if so, how can I explain the way I feel in a simple way?

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Friends are usually the easiest to first come out to. Are your friends/family accepting?

3. RocketRacoon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Most of my friends are (at least one of them is also debating their gender). My family might be, but they've never seemed too comfortable talking about LGBT+ stuff. Do you think it would be easiest to talk to my friends face-to-face?

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends how how you feel. If you think that it would be easier to tell them face to face, then that may work for you. There are also other options like writing a letter or message. One thing that helped me decide was writing out a pro and con list. I came out via text communication, but at the end I put that I did it in this manner because I could never do it in person because I was too nervous. I also told them that they could ask my questions when they felt they were ready to talk about it.

5. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, I'm a new member so please forgive my ignorance, what does nonbinary mean?

Have you any access to having some counseling? My family would run a mile at the mention of LGBT conversations, very homophobic! For me it's been huge to admit how I am/feel to myself let alone anyone else.

The idea of a text to start the conversation off sounds good to me. Post how it goes.

6. Delta

"Binary" refers to the two genders that most people recognize, man and woman. So, nonbinary is a very general term expressing that you're not one of those. It could mean you're neither, or both, or that it changes. Some people have it as their whole gender identity label, and some choose a specific subset of nonbinary for theirs. :slight_smile:

7. RocketRacoon

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all so much for your advice! (*hug*) I am going to try to come out to one of my friends over text next week. I also might be getting counseling for other reasons (mostly anxiety) and I plan to ask them for advice about my gender.