1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I failed/succesfully Came Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adam Smith, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I did it! I cam out publicly half past the witching hour on Tuesday of last week. (!)
    (Most) Everything is great and people were really supportive. Even my 'bros' were like

"Thats not an easy thing to do, good job man!"

or

"You came out last night, high five!" (yes really)

Frankly, this was an amazing decision I made. The entire day after, I had this gigantic smile on my face! :eusa_danc

Weird thing is though, apparently word hasn't gotten around, like, at all. :eusa_doh: This is a good thing? I was sorta expecting it to just spread by word of mouth.

So I guess I'm asking advice(?). I was sorta just planning to get my hands on a pride band or two and wear it to school one day. What do you guys think?

2. Eye Shine

I honestly don't think it's a big issue. As long your friends, family, and anyone who is close to you knows that should be fine. It seems like you are okay if the word that you are gay spreads. So if it does right away okay. If it doesn't oh well. I don't think everyone has to know who interests you.

It's your choice though. If you feel like that a pride band will spread the word that you are gay and you feel like that's what you want to do to tell everyone then do it. If you just want pride bands to be supportive of the community then do it.

I think for you the hard part is done. Everyone that's important in your life knows so do what you think is right and what you want to do about the pride bands.

I hope I helped friend!

3. MaximusMike

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought the same thing, I think being bi just isn't a big deal any more to people outside of the community. As for a pride band, I don't wear one, I just constantly make references and jokes that remind people - whatever works for you. (Although, I'll be honest, I've never thought to buy one, I might now!)

Regardless, well done, it takes a lot of courage to come out, especially when you've got masculine friends as it seems you do.

4. PrsngHppnss8D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are very brave. Congrats on coming out!

Pride is like an armor against all the hate. I guess nobody is proud about a thing that is not a big deal to the others (like I'm proud to use pc, or proud to sleep), but a lot of people had struggled with sexuality, cuz it's such a polemic in a lot of countries!

By standart (for me) I would tell only if someone asks, to avoid awkward situations. You probably feel comfort now with yourself, but would you be comfortable saying to everyone else, deliberately? It depends on the people around you, are they friendly enough? Pay attention to this for your own security. Do you feel you need to tell everyone (like a protest against the intolerance)?

After this, if you support the lgbt movement, if you want to share to everyone your sexuality or if you just think that the armband is cute, then use it. In the end, it's up to you. :B