1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I meet gays in my area?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lukee, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Lukee

Sorry, this question might be a bit out there, but I really know nobody that's gay or bisexual in my area, especially at my age.

I don't want to join a group. (Partially because I don't know of any around here & My parents know I don't go out much and If I started to go to these places there would only be so many lies I can make).

Any help/personal stories?
    Thanks!(*hug*)

2. crystaltriforce

does you're school have some form of lgbt club or a gsa?

3. Lukee

My school has nothing like that, no.

4. Miles D

Maybe you could start one?
    Just an idea...

other than that, there's not much gay-networking for little guys like you and me :grin:

5. Lukee

Little kids?
    This little kid happens to be 6ft tall. :slight_smile:
    And as for starting one, It would look weird a supposedly 'straight guy' setting up an LGBT club. >.>

6. littledinosaurs

is there a diversity club? you could start one of those it bring in all kinds of people including the BLTSANWICH people.

7. Lukee

LOL. That made me laugh. BLTSANWICH people?! x)!
    And a diversity group?
    Elaborate more, please?

8. kayar

Yeah, sorry Lukee.

I suspect somehow that the USA are streets ahead of us in UK on this subject. I think we've yet to establish LGBT, GSA, & Diversity clubs in the majority of schools here. It probably makes the whole school environment work differently for gays as it will for you too.

Hope you find your way, but take care.

Kayar. X

9. tallship

there are gay youth groups and forums in the uk do a web search and something should come up , you might find something useful but be careful and try not to rush into stuff . :smilewave you've the rest of life to find someone (*hug*)

10. tallship

had a quick look but the nearest group to you is in cambridge ,:icon_sad:

2BYouth

The 2BYouth face2face drop-in group for under 16s which meets once a month on a Saturday afternoon. Contact them find out when the next session is.

Street Address:Gwydir Street (dHIVerse office)
    Email:[email protected]
    Telephone:07808 189158
    Homepage:www.2byouth.co.uk

11. tallship

12. riddlerno1

I can imagine its gonna be hard to find something because of your age. I know there are certain groups for like 18+ but its hard for teenagers but there are youth groups like the ones described^^. Its just Uk doesnt really focus on this like the USA does. Shame really.

13. Lukee

Thanks Tallship. It really is hard because there's no way that i'm going to be able to get there. I think I need to do some research in all of the small counties around here. Maybe I could force myself to come out soon & start one myself.

And I think the UK can learn something here, because we're smaller so you think it would be easier to set more up.

14. Alex19

i have no idea where to find another guy that ill b interested in. i have a guy at school who likes me but hes REALLY not my type. i like the more masculine gay men... i said that like a million times so far on this site... but give it time- your still young and i wouldnt waste time in a relationship. in middle and high school it really is a waste (well, to me it is).

15. lpccrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i know how your feeling lukee.. there is only 2 open gay guys in my highschool of over 1000 students...and neither of them are for me..but like everyone here and my friend that im texting is saying.. were young and the right person will come along when the time is right :icon_bigg

16. Stuie

I'm in exactly the same situation. Although my school is open enough, so there's no point starting a GSA. Homophobia really isn't a problem, which is great. I can name quite a few openly gay people.

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Sounds like my school. Though, I wish they weren't so...open. At my school the Queer Straight Alliance is more like the Crusaders fighting villainly. They come off WAY too strong. They even came to my door once to personally hand out fliers. And why're they called the queer straight ALLIANCE? What, are we going to war or something? lol

That and I got banned from them for calling one a faggot. So...I don't much care for gay clubs. They're so exclusive too for people who're supposed to support diversity.

18. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

So how about people like me who are a bit older and out of the school age? Just shy of going to a PFLAG meeting, where can someone like me go to try and meet someone? I live in the middle of the woods for the record. I'd have to drive 45 min to the closest PFLAG meeting if i chose to go. And do gay people themsleves go to those or is it more for family and friends? And I'm not sure if I need the whole support end of things from going to meetings, so much as just trying to meet people. EC here has been pretty good so far giving me a place to let off some steam and seek advice.

19. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Guest

Has anyone had luck over the internet?

20. Sarah

well theres always a LOT more gays in the world than ppl think. im sure there are ppl in ur school just lik u. they want to come out, they want to find someone to love, but theyre afraid to comeout bcuz of wat MIGHT happen. but as to how to find them idk. check ur gaydar? lol sorry for the term "gaydar" some ppl tak it offfensive. im not trying to b offensive. so if anyone thinks it offensive, VERY sorry.