1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My frenemy might out me. Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BigBagOfBlank, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BigBagOfBlank

I have a friend who I've been hanging out with for a long time, but now we're drifting apart. She's in a cosplay group with me that we formed, so I'm kind of stuck with her. Not to mention, she's got a bad habit of saying hurtful things to me, and never apologizes for it. She treats everyone like that, but I think she targets me because I'm quiet and sensitive.

Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with her. I didn't make that dawning revelation until a few months ago, and since then I struggled and finally succeeded at getting over it. She's an ally and has hinted at being gay before (which made me fall in love even more). I accidently dropped some hints like those, too. The thing is, her family is very religious and homophobic.

Now, I know my friend suspects me. Maybe even suspects that I loved her. I used to have lots of justifications for why I loved her, but the more hurtful things she says to me, the less I trust her. She's always hinting at me being gay at the cosplay meetings, in front of the other members. If she outs me or puts me on the spot about it, I can't deny it, because my other friend (who I came out to because he asked me out) is in the group as well.

What should I do? Should I tell her privately and explain my worries, or not mention things at all? Should I distance myself even more?

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would coming out to the group be an option? That way you could have some choice on the timing, and it might untangle some complications.

Just a thought. You don't have anything to be ashamed of. Coming out is hard, I know. Hugs and good energy to you, however you decide to go.

3. BigBagOfBlank

Thanks for the support :slight_smile: I'm not sure if coming out to the group's an option at the moment. I came out to my sister and mom a while ago, and both of them initially reacted badly. Although they've come to terms (more or less) now, they don't even want me to tell my dad. My mom thinks he'll kick me out of the house, and honestly, I'm afraid of how he'd react too. He's supportive of me, but he uses homophobic slurs on occasion and I've debated gay marriage with him in the past. I wouldn't want the news to get back to him if I came out to the group. I want to make sure he and I understand each other fully when I tell him.

4. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mentioned there's another friend who you've come out to in the group. Maybe tell him about your worries of her outing you? In that case, if she does out you to the group, he will understand you denying it?